Why is it that consumers treat headphone displays so harshly?
Mar 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TsukiNick

500+ Head-Fier

Like come on, they aren't that flimsy of headphones.  I'm surprised the Bose displays aren't snapped like this.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 12
The Bose AE2 is vastly more durable than its triport predecessor... which most definitely did have a lot of busted up displays like that.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Oh yeah, I had the triports before and they broke so fast and I was gentle as could be and mine and my brothers just got ruined so fast.  First went the cable, my dad replaced that.  Then both our headbands broke.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Just remember the average consumer cares about sound quality as much as they care about the RGB cables plugged into the back of their TV. They also believe over 10$ is overpriced for a piece of plastic to make sound and that 20$ is splurging. People are inconsiderate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 12
If you've ever been to B&H in Manhattan you know how bad it can get. Imagine traffic similar to Costco and a 50+ unit headphone display with models ranging from 20$ sony cans to hd800's.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
The thing is... the headphone shoppes in Japan don't seem to have this problem. Not only are there like 200+ different pairs on display at once, but also people seem to treat them nicer. Why is that?

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 12
  The thing is... the headphone shoppes in Japan don't seem to have this problem. Not only are there like 200+ different pairs on display at once, but also people seem to treat them nicer. Why is that?

I came in here to post this point as well.

Different culture where they are more considerate and respectful of others and others' property.

But it's not only that, for example if you look at used cds and books from a japanese store, most of what you find is in excellent or very good condition. Somehow their culture and society has more/most of the people taking care of stuff better and not trashing everything.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 12
  I came in here to post this point as well.

Different culture where they are more considerate of others and others' property.

But it's not only that, for example if you look at used cds and books from a japanese store, most of what you find is in excellent or very good condition. Somehow their culture and society has more/most of the people taking care of stuff better and not trashing everything.

They must be more respectful of others property. The same people I knew who did that also shoplifted some headphones, no surprise.

However, I have yet to see a headphone display from an actually decent brand. That would be my only chance to hear high end headphones, but all I ever see is Beats or 30$ headphone displays at Best Buy. If only I had a quality audio gear store locally, maybe I do.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Oh yes, the Japanese are very courteous and respectful when they shop it appears.  However, their extremely conformist society is the only thing I don't like.

But I suppose it's the "Wannabe-Thug" or the kids that normally break these things here.

Beats/Monster headphones seem to be stolen almost as much as they are bought.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 12
A recent trip to one of the local Best Buy stores had me a bit surprised.  When going down the headphone aisle, the cables for each headphone were neatly tucked into their respective holding areas or the cables were would if that option existed.  It really surprised me as normally, the area looks like a disaster area with the headphones tossed about the area.

If I saw an employee organizing them in that manner, I certainly would have made a positive comment because such action is hardly performed nowadays.

Then again, I can understand how Best Buy keeps their $200 and up headphones in the Magnolia area.  I had read where some stores were setting up listening stations for the higher end headphones, but it appears that effort might have stalled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back