Why is HD650 and Sennheiser so Popular?
Jan 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amodymous

Head-Fier
Just wondering why the brand is so much more renowned compared to AKG, AT, Beyer, etc. and how the HD650 and HD25 and so many of it's headphones still have a very strong following and what make's them so popular and lavishly praised. Just wondering.

-Solemn-

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 6
  Just wondering why the brand is so much more renowned compared to AKG, AT, Beyer, etc. and how the HD650 and HD25 and so many of it's headphones still have a very strong following and what make's them so popular and lavishly praised. Just wondering.

-Solemn-

Many variables.
Sennheiser is a much bigger company than most of the others.
As a reference, Beyerdynamic has approx 300 employees, while Sennheiser has more than 2000.

HD650 sounds good with a very wide range of recordings and then most people like it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Solid we run company, producing a consistent product and accurately identifying what compromises to make on what headphones so they have offerings across different personal preferences.

Also releasing every 25 years a limited headphone to grab attention as possibly the world's best helps boost the brand.

That is my opinion/guess, not researched.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 6

The only disadvantages that AKG has, generally, is that their K7-- line has a low 62ohm nominal impedance that has more amp compatibility issues vs 300ohm Sennheisers. On top of that the K701 and the older K5-- line rolled off a little early at the low end, and combined with the impedance and slightly lower sensitivity/efficiency, can make them sound drastically disadvantaged due to amp distortion making that roll off worse. Get a really good amp that can drive both well and the sound is a lot closer.

By contrast not only is it relatively easier to get the HD6-- loud without driving amps into a point with too much distortion, but you can get a relatively inexpensive OTL amp to give it gobs of voltage if you really want to get it going.

In short, if anything, the main difference between the HD6--/HD8--x and K7--/K5-- lines is that one is more convenient to use properly. Plus maybe HD6-- earpads were $60 and K7-- angled pads are $90, and Sennheiser's support page for spare parts is more easily accessible while AKGs isn't. Otherwise, to those who've tried them on good amps, differences are actually minimal, which is something that you can see on how similar the HD600 and K702 response curves are.

As for the HD25 line, it's been used in sports broadcasting so a lot more people are familiar with it, and AKG gambling on an equivalent by slapping on colors  didn't exactly work out that well I suppose.

Jokingly though, Sennheiser is made by a guy who helped design headsets used on Panzers and U-Boats (not to mention how similar headsets were used in 1936 and then later it was the HD25). AKG is from the country that gave us the guy who made them lose by cancelling Sea Lion then going off to do Barbarossa.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 6

-Solemn-

My Sennheiser HD558 headphones are the oldest headphones I have that i still like to use.
It's the only headphone i have that can work well plugged into an mp3 player, my computer and also into my Yamaha receiver.
The HD558 is only 50-Ohm, but it's the only lower impedance headphone I have that still works decently plugged into my receiver's high impedance headphone jack.
So I guess Sennheiser really knows how to design a good headphone.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 6

Why is HD650 so Popular?

They have a magical smooth sound that is very pleasing and soothing. Everyone should hear this headphone. They deliver pure music, also their sound signature goes with all genres.

"Why is  Sennheiser Popular?

Because its a huge company with 2000 employees. They make everything from mics to headphone to amplifiers.They have a very good customer support. You get Sennheiser headphones almost everywhere and they are easier to get than other headphones.
 Also, their sound signature is very likable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back