Why is coaxial better than optical?
Jun 1, 2006 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

threEchelon

1000+ Head-Fier
What are the factors that make coaxial better than toslink for audio?
confused.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Toslink is an optical signal, thus the normal (electrical) signal must be converted to and from the optical format when it is sent and recieved. This process generally adds jitter to the signal, which can degrade audio performance. However, in instances where a source device has a dirty ground (such as a computer) this can actually degrade the sound of a coaxial connection more than the jitter embedded in the optical conversion process. Also an optical signal can generally transverse a longer cable run before degradation sets in, and is also immune to interference from RF or EM fields. So both have their plusses and minuses. A typical audiophile system has short cable runs, and few stray fields, so optical's advantages generally don't trump its' increased jitter. Computer and pro audio setups often see the other side of the coin.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Given that, and *assuming* the output quality of the various ports are the same which would you use for output from a media device into a receiver: coax, toslink, or RCA? The device is a wireless bridge feeding primarily mp3s if that matters, it is not hooked directly to the source (PC).

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 15
Coaxial cables are more durable than Optical. But then again, most of the time you just plug it in and never move it again.

You can simply use a composite video cable in lieu of an actual 'coaxial' cable. More convenient perhaps? Instead of going out and buying an optical cable, just grab any old composite video cable you have lying around and use that.

People with high end systems and cables may cringe at the idea of using the thin composite video cable that came with a $30 DVD player as a digital interconnect, but I've tried it and it works fine. I doubt my system would be able to produce any discernable difference between a cheap string-thin video cable and a nice hefty custom made canare pure silver digital interconnect.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 15
terrymx: WBT claims their nextgen RCA type connectors to be true 75 Ohm designs.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
People with high end systems and cables may cringe at the idea of using the thin composite video cable that came with a $30 DVD player as a digital interconnect, but I've tried it and it works fine.

They would faint when they saw my DVD linked to the amp by one half of a stereo phone cable that came free with something. It's a basic DVD and a low end Yamaha amp with NSP100 speakers, but I can't hear any sound degradation or glitches.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 15
IronDreamer answered perfectly, I echo his suggestions... computer as source, use optical... transport to DAC/short run, use coaxial

And yes, I have compared them.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Not meaning to thread hijack but could anyone explain why 75 ohm is the optimal impedance or a rca digital cable? Thanks

Because that is the impedance that SPDIF is spec'ed at. AES/EBU is spec'ed at 110 ohms.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes, what kind of DAC do you have?

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
So my take is that I should use coax on my bridge vs toslink or the standard RCA outs?

Depends on which has the better DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back