Why is classical music "best"?
Jul 9, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In two-hundred years, we will still have these pieces. We will still have Miles Davis, and we will still have Elvis Presley and The Beatles. We WILL NOT have speed metal bands of the 1990's, or Britney Spears. It will be long-gone.

LOL!

congratulations! you have gained 50,000 credibility points!

Quote:

In my opinion, art isn't art unless it is appreciated by somebody. And the smaller that appreciation is (not in numbers, but in AMOUNT of appreciation per viewer/listener) the lesser and lesser art it is. This is a pretty simple yet accurate way of looking at it. Who the hell understands Warhol's soup can painting?

art is art if it has some significance to the person creating it. a guy can tap a fork on a cactus, record it, and call it art. it's an expression of self.. and you are in absolutely no position to say that what somebody else does isn't art because it doesn't have widespread appreciation. in your opinion, that may be a simple and accurate way of looking at it. in reality, it's a simple but completely bogus way of looking at it.

Quote:

Building off of that idea, even though pop artists have an immensely larger audience, how many of them are REALLY appreciating the music to the level and passion that one who listens to Miles Davis does? I'll tell you: not too many. Kids who listen to pop music do so because it's filler music to blast in their cars, and because it's "cool". Yes, they like it, but how would they have been exposed to it had it not been for the extreme marketing? What kind of extreme marketing did private performances of classical music give to the public? None - it persisted because of the immense appreciation it received from the small crowd that had the opportunity to hear such gems. To appreciate more complex forms of music like Classical and Jazz, it requires not only experience but also passion for what you are hearing, and in this sense, the listeners of these genres have much more of that to give than the listeners of other music such as pop and simple rock.

there is truth in there, but it appears to be stuck under all the interspersed bulls**t.

my collection consists of mostly jazz fusion, prog of all sorts, technical metal, experimental electronica, avant garde orchestration, world music, or any given mixture of the above. i haven't listened to the radio in years. i thrive on music that is comprised of obscenely complex rhythmic structures, and i have tremendous appreciation for music in general.

i don't like classical music. i appreciate it, but i don't like it.. i'd never listen to classical music for personal enjoyment. it bores me to tears.. and not because i have an attention span of less than 30 minutes or whatever the hell it is you said, not because i don't know how to appreciate complex forms of music, but because IT DOES NOT APPEAL TO ME.

Quote:

I really don't see how you could argue what I just said - any of it...

good thing the remainder of the world isn't so blind.

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #47 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
art is art if it has some significance to the person creating it. a guy can tap a fork on a cactus, record it, and call it art. it's an expression of self..

Utter nonsense.. As with humor, art cannot have defined existence if there is no one to 'get it'. It's a receipient dependent form.

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #49 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by periurban
..."Get off your high horse and drink your superiority."...

Well - I didn’t mount a horse in the first place. You put me on one. I am just venting my opinion and views. You like complex rock; I complex classical orchestral music. Simple as that.

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #50 of 300
Quote:

For example, whenever I hear Beethoven's 9th, I immediately feel a sense of evil and sadness. It's not as if there are words spoken to me about it like in a normal pop song - hell, I don't even know what the german choir is singing or what it means ... that's just what the music gives me. I gathered these feelings by intentively listening to the music...

Aman, you're more perceptive than you realize! Two other posters have commented that your impressions are mistaken, because those words are from Schiller's "Ode to Joy," but that's not the whole story. Music historians believe that much of Beethoven's 9th was inspired by Beethoven's very troubled life, including his relationship with his very abusive father, whose regular beatings are said to have contributed to his deafness.

The "Ode to Joy" was about those rare moments when Beethoven was able to escape from his father's grasp. It's a bittersweet moment. I'm impressed that you were able to pick up on these feelings. You must be a very good listener.

Jul 9, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #51 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Well - I didn’t mount a horse in the first place. You put me on one. I am just venting my opinion and views. You like complex rock; I complex classical orchestral music. Simple as that.

OK. As long as you agree that classical music is in no way "superior" or "better" than any other form of music, I will agree the same about the music I like.

Fair?

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #52 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by periurban
OK. As long as you agree that classical music is in no way "superior" or "better" than any other form of music, I will agree the same about the music I like.

Fair?

Let it rest my friend.

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #53 of 300
"Do you consider Classical music superior to other genres?"

Reminds me of the great 'Is Chocolate superior to Vanilla" debate.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #54 of 300
Quote:

In two-hundred years, we will still have these pieces. We will still have Miles Davis, and we will still have Elvis Presley and The Beatles. We WILL NOT have speed metal bands of the 1990's, or Britney Spears. ...

So we will have the music you like, but all the music I like will dissapear?! I guess my CD's will combust when i am older because they arent "superior" music styles....
rolleyes.gif

No one can argue this!?!
I guess youre so superior to us now because of your views on music that we arent even worthy of arguing.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #56 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
So we will have the music you like, but all the music I like will dissapear?! I guess my CD's will combust when i am older because they arent "superior" music styles....
rolleyes.gif

No one can argue this!?!
I guess youre so superior to us now because of your views on music that we arent even worthy of arguing.
rolleyes.gif

Why are you taking him so literally? He obviously didn't mean that your music collections were going to disappear in two-hundred years: But will they be reproduced into the music media format of 200 years from now? If your collection consists of Mariah Carey, I doubt it.

Stop being wiseguys and start saying something constructive!

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #58 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil
Why are you taking him so literally? He obviously didn't mean that your music collections were going to disappear in two-hundred years: But will they be reproduced into the music media format of 200 years from now? If your collection consists of Mariah Carey, I doubt it.

Stop being wiseguys and start saying something constructive!

I doubt classical will either, other than just for historical purposes, if it sells at the rate it is now. Ill bet if you interviewed people for their favorite music category(think broad, rock, rap, r&b, classical, etc.) classical music would finish near the bottom. What makes you think they will remake something that doesnt sell in 200 years?

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #59 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I doubt classical will either, other than just for historical purposes, if it sells at the rate it is now. Ill bet if you interviewed people for their favorite music category(think broad, rock, rap, r&b, classical, etc.) classical music would finish near the bottom. What makes you think they will remake something that doesnt sell in 200 years?

Classical will be around for a while, like it or not. It has lasted this long, why do you think it will not last another 200 years. Regarding your interview, I think Country music would finish at the bottom, followed by rap.

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #60 of 300
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
I think my post was better.
wink.gif

However, all kidding aside, Mark has a point. Let's face it, folks: no one's genre can legitimately claim supremacy over the others. To accuse fans of classical music of elitism is roughly equivalent to saying that everyone who likes modern pop ignores subtleties in other genres. Neither one is true. Fans of classical, here anyway, are welcoming and friendly. Fans of pop can discern nuances and complex progressions.

Both genres are good in their own ways, and attempting to prove the "better/worse" argument will only end badly.

Exactly. That's what I think as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back