Why I think that q-jays are the best IEMs in the market (warning - too muh criticism of other brands).
Nov 6, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a very long and expensive journey of IEMs, from the ER-4P to the Klipsch Image x10 to the Shure SE420 to the Super.fi 5 LS to the Triple.fi 10...

(never did try customs...)

... I'm downgrading back to the ER-6i with Shure black foams. It's good enough, and for portable listening that's all that I care about.

Additionally if I lose them or destroy them, it's not so difficult to buy a replacement pair.

or you could buy 3-4 Koss ksc75s and just use them as your "beater" pairs
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reasons why you sound like a fanboy:

Ok, call me whatever you want if you insist.

Quote:

4. "Extension cord is a bit too long and degrades sound quality a bit (although it smoothes and adds warmth, so some people may found it more pleasing with extension than without it)." -- an imperfection turned into a plus

I don't say that it's a plus for me.

Quote:

5. "FutureSonic Atrio. They cost the same as q-jays, and have really
nice sound, but they give nothing in terms of details and soundstage. I
do believe that over-150$ IEMS should be quite analytical. Again - 100$
would be fair price for them. If we leave the price aside, I cannot say
that jays are much better... they are just different. But for me it's
not a question which ones to keep. Fit and look are much better in jays." --a comparable set of headphones, yet you undervalue them rather than simply state that they are clear rivals.

They can be rivals for someone else - but not for me. Again and again and again - it was all about MY impression.

Quote:

-You have countless headfiers complaining about the fit of the Triple.Fi's some even going so far as stating that they wish they could get the Triple.Fi sound from a UM2 housing -but I don't think I've ever heard anyone state, "well because of the fit of the Triple.Fi's they should be 50 bucks less than the UM2's."

I haven't heared that too... And so what?

Quote:

-I think I can conclude from the previous quote that you do believe them to be more natural because of their frequency response -the flat response (and if you have read those articles, you should know that's not natural).

I can repeat - no, I didn't say that they sound natural because they have flat response. Actually I don't care why exactly they sound natural for me. I just like it.
You've missed my question - have you had a direct listening comparison test?

Quote:

-Trust you're ears.... OFCOURSE, I would never ask you to blindly trust the word of heavily researched subject by scientists. But don't make proclamations that are statements of fact. It doesnt matter, not one bit, that you state all of your claims are matters of opinion if you treat them as matters of fact. For example, since you seem to associate me with a shure fanboy, if I state 'in my opinion shures are the bestest most realistic sounding headphones in the world.' Then I state later on, that "the Triple.Fi's are not realistic because they do not sound like the Shures." Then I would have just used my opinion as a matter of fact. you did that several times in each post, that's where factual errors get a little blurry.

I do my conclusions only based on listening experience, on direct comparison of sound sig in the same music tracks. My impressions are facts for me. What factual errors could I have?

Quote:

"These are the negatives of other IEMS and if you use them you will notice these negatives aswell." At this point its not a matter of changing your title, its you're approach to your posts and the way you use your opinions as facts.

You are wrong - I never say directly or imply that someone else "will notice these negatives aswell". "These are the negatives of other IEMS and if you use them you MAY notice these negatives aswell." - that's what I say. Wherever possible I am trying to find a positives for other people (like bass in Atrios - which isnt a positive for me).

Quote:

I still think you have a fanboy mentality about the q-jays, you can take it to be a negative comment if you'd like, but I take that to simply mean that its impossible to argue with you. And others here including myself should just stop. well I guess I'll stop

Dont take it as an offence, but there's really no point in arguing like you do. You cannot argue my tastes, as well as I cannot blame your impressions - these all are individual and subjective matters, and they can be only compared for possible similarity. Actually I thought my initial post will have very few comments - because there's nothing to comment. You can have experience that is similar to mine (unlikely) or different one.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something up if you're not noticing the ER 4's for their crystally highs, they're not harsh just analytical and precise. If you are looking for straightup detail, the 4P's likely have the Q-jays whipped, and the 4S's with an amp have them whipped without a doubt.

You've heared them one after another? And etys have more details on highs? Strange for me..
I haven't heared them with an amp, but from Terratec Phase 28USB sound card (that I think sound quite good and can drive such earphones). Highs were flat, thin, artificial... I wouldn't be able to listen for them for long time.
I forgot to mention that I couldnt achieve a seal with ety's silicone tips, so I had to use tips from SA6 (standard biflanges). But I doubt that it's all because I have improper fit...

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting stuff. But I absolutely disagree with ER 4S/P though. Dead and lifeless they may be, they are amazingly neutral. I'm not sure what type of music you were testing those with, but they do accurate presentation for classical where neutrality and speed is key. And their treble is not peaky last time I've tried. They were unfortunately pretty boring to my ears, but that's a different subject
wink.gif

Perhaps you are right - Jays could colorize the sound so it sounds more fun to me. But with regard to details... I certainly hear more of them in jays. And still I don't get how such lack of bass can be considered "neutral" (big drums cannot sound that empty in real life, I know that!)

Quote:

I highly recommend you try UE TF10s. If you can achieve a good fit (big IF btw, I had a perfect fit though) They're fine balance of being accurate while being exciting. Great bass response, combined with spectacular highs.

Thank you for a suggestion, I would be really excited to hear them (as well as new SF5). Just have no opportunity to do that
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Toki_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you are right - Jays could colorize the sound so it sounds more fun to me. But with regard to details... I certainly hear more of them in jays. And still I don't get how such lack of bass can be considered "neutral" (big drums cannot sound that empty in real life, I know that!)

jays are little brighter - which affects perception of detail - as brighter cans tend to sound more detailed compared to darker cans. And some cans are simply not detail oriented (i.e. AD2000) while they have around same level of detail of another can (DT880s are more analytical and cold in nature) And I can hear as much detail in AD2000 as DT880.

Anyways, Bass amount doesn't always equate to detail level. Some cans/iems have huge, noticeable bass, while lacking in texture (markl called this "bass cloud") while some other cans/iems have clear textured bass while lacking in bass quantity.

as I said before, speed and accuracy is key for classical. ER4P/S did not seem to overstate bass present in classical music, but were definitely present.

Also, what music were you testing them with? Many modern recordings are remastered to emphasize treble and bass - sounding more detailed.

I suggest listening stright from your CD player or FLAC ripped files from your X5. For example, Eric Clapton's Unplugged album is fantastic album to detect details - good amount of detail is present in the music itself, and reactions from the crowd. Well-recorded Classical/Jazz live/studio album also provide wonderful basis for doing a review on.

cheers,

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that saves me a rant.

Thank you for detailed explaination why my listening experience is wrong (if you mean that...)

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

as I said before, speed and accuracy is key for classical. ER4P/S did not seem to overstate bass present in classical music, but were definitely present.

Also, what music were you testing them with? Many modern recordings are remastered to emphasize treble and bass - sounding more detailed.

I suggest listening stright from your CD player or FLAC ripped files from your X5. For example, Eric Clapton's Unplugged album is fantastic album to detect details - good amount of detail is present in the music itself, and reactions from the crowd. Well-recorded Classical/Jazz live/studio album also provide wonderful basis for doing a review on.

cheers,

I've heared just a few tracks (as I don't own the ety's), one of the most revealing was Apocalyptica - Cult - 04 - Pray!.flac. It starts with extremly low cello, which sounds way too light on ety's. Another one was local medieval ensemble that I have heared many times alive. They have quite well-made live recording, so it serves as a good reference for me. Again, ethnic drums are not as powerful as they should be.
Perhaps it's a different story for classical, where bass rarely goes so deep... I should try it next time I'll be able to audition them.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #39 of 63
^ um. bass on harp, bass, and contrabasson go down to 25-40 hz btw. I would call that pretty darn deep.
Not to mention that pipe organs go down to 10hz.
while tuba and 97 key Imperial Grand Piano go down to 16 hz.

I would call that quite deep actually.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #40 of 63
What is happening?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

^ um. bass on harp, bass, and contrabasson go down to 25-40 hz btw. I would call that pretty darn deep.
Not to mention that pipe organs go down to 10hz.
while tuba and 97 key Imperial Grand Piano go down to 16 hz.

I would call that quite deep actually.

And you hear those frequencies to be faithfully reproduced by Etys? Better than Jays?
I wish I could give Etys a longer try... but something tells me that in the finall I still wouldn't love them. And that condensed sound presentation (or maybe narrow soundstage would be more correct) will make me miss more "open" sound.
Btw, have you compared etys to SA6? I think the latter ones have less coloured sound than q-jays, a bit close to etys.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Toki_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you hear those frequencies to be faithfully reproduced by Etys? Better than Jays?
I wish I could give Etys a longer try... but something tells me that in the finall I still wouldn't love them. And that condensed sound presentation (or maybe narrow soundstage would be more correct) will make me miss more "open" sound.
Btw, have you compared etys to SA6? I think the latter ones have less coloured sound than q-jays, a bit close to etys.

No. I cannot hear below 20hz. My threshold is probably around 25-30hz, to be honest, I was just giving an example of how low some of those instruments go.

If you want open sound - go to full sized
wink.gif
namely, K501.

I have heard Shure E530, TF10pros, Qjays, Ety SR4P/S, SF5pros, and AT CK7 so far. I'm far from being an expert on IEMs, especially newer ones
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

No. I cannot hear below 20hz. My threshold is probably around 25-30hz, to be honest, I was just giving an example of how low some of those instruments go.

Yes, I've got your point. I was interested in comparison (jays vs ety in handling lower bass).

Quote:

If you want open sound - go to full sized
wink.gif
namely, K501.

Unfortunately full-sized are incompatible with russian winter. Besides, it seems that I have everything that I want from sound of q-jays. Really, I cannot see what should be improved. Of course there can be better sound than the one they give... but I'm not ready to spend 10x more money on it.
The only thing I would like to upgrade is a longer cable...
Other upgrades will be my music source - jays are significally better on terratec than out of any portable player I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back