Why I Hate Microsoft
Mar 12, 2005 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
This is the best site.. ever.. besides Head-Fi and Slashdot
tongue.gif

http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...t/IhateMS.html

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 47
Bah, I love ms. They are one tight company. Power to the peo...developers?

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 47
The stories are interesting (especially if you actually know what EDLIN is). But I can detect the political agenda underneath all the prose. I'm sure that anyone who programmes the internals of Windows will find fault with some of their statements.

Let's not turn this into a MS bashing / Linux glorification thread, as many people can find many faults with Linux, too.

The big question with MS is - will they now re-write their code so that viruses do not exploit their OS with their advent of the dual-processor chips? If they do - will they exploit people by making them buy an updated OS, like 64 bit WXP, or will there be a free backwards compatibility update? Seeing as they refuse to give W2000 any of the WXP goodies (there will not be any more SPs for W2K), chances are that force people to shell out $200 for another OS.

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Let's not turn this into a MS bashing / Linux glorification thread, as many people can find many faults with Linux, too.

Exactly, and thanks for stating that. No OS is perfect, though from what I hear OSX comes close.
wink.gif

Linux has its advantages but it's a long long long LONG way away from being a mainstream OS simply due to the fact that it's not very user friendly. People don't want to take the time to learn it, and simple tasks are far more complicated than they are on other OSes so the majority of people will stick to Windows and take their chances with viruses and security updates and bloated features/code. People want plug & play, not compile & tweak. Windows has its faults, but it's not nearly as evil as the Linux and Mac diehards (I hate to use the term fanboys) make it out to be.

Being open source rocks but has its disadvantages as well, as one soon finds out after installing Linux. Microsoft may be a big nasty corporation, but at least you can use just about anything with Windows which often cannot be said for Linux. I just like to have the best of both worlds with a dual boot setup.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

what operating systems are you guys using?

WXPP, W2KP, W98SE, Ubuntu Linux and soon Mac OS X (once I buy a keyboard and mouse for my $50 iMac Blueberry). I gave up on W98FE, WME and WNT4.0.

Which do I use most? That depends on what function I am doing. For Internet Surfing I like Ubuntu at 1600x1200, for gaming it is WXPP and W98SE. For digital work it's W2KP. WXPP is my least used OS.

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
WXPP, W2KP, W98SE, Ubuntu Linux and soon Mac OS X (once I buy a keyboard and mouse for my $50 iMac Blueberry). I gave up on W98FE, WME and WNT4.0.

Which do I use most? That depends on what function I am doing. For Internet Surfing I like Ubuntu at 1600x1200, for gaming it is WXPP and W98SE. For digital work it's W2KP. WXPP is my least used OS.

Damn...I knew you were going to say that...

icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 47
I use whatever Linux distro I have installed (I switch around every week or so, as I haven't found one I truly like and could see using on a daily basis), and Windows. When I have a good distro installed (Debian and Gentoo were my two favorites), I use Linux for internet, IM, and the like. Still keep XP around for gaming, though.

Anyway, Aman, very interesting article. Currently reading it. I know most of the information, but still, 'tis a good read.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 47
I use OSX, but I respect MS.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
3 easy steps to becoming 'cool':

1. Hate Microsoft
2. Bash creative soundcards
3. Agree with those who forward the above two points

There's two sub-sets (well, major ones, anyway - I won't get into OS/2 people...) of cool, though. There's Linux zealots, and Mac zealots. Mind you, they both run Unix underneath, but both camps are loathe to admit it. Apple has just spent more time creating an admittedly awesome GUI, whereas Linux devlopment is so helter-skelter you can't really say what they've spent their time on.

And I don't really hate Creative or M$. I hate their marketing. They both try to features that aren't really new, original, or needed by 99% of the population. They offer poorer quality than many competitors (case in point: Audigy 2 vs. Chaintech AV-710 - Price difference of about $100. Yeah, you get EAX with the Audigy, but most people won't notice it), but are higher priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back