why I got the ety er-4p
Jul 16, 2002 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI ALL: I really like the sound of my senn. 580. These are the best cans that I ever had or heard with the right source and right power. But I can not use the 580s with my portable rig because of my mini disc only putting out 5 m/w and my supreme amp in portable mod just cant get the volume to my likeing with such a low power source. So I have been useing the koss-35 or portapro that gave me very good sound especially for what they cost. Great sound for as small as they are and for little cost. I had the er-4p a few months ago and thought that they were the best portable sound that I have ever heard. Almost as good as my 580s only I can use the er-4p on my portable stuff and with the total airhead they really sounded great. But I had some problem with the er-4p. I took them out of my ears to often and may have put them in to far so had some ear trouble so I sent them back. Now after not haveing the er-4p I really missed them for my portable stuff which I now use 90 per cent of the time being summer. So I ordered them again and will get them today and will be more carfull with them but I really miss the great portable sound that I get from them. Its hard to believe that the er-4p can sound almost as good as my 580s but they sure do. The sound may be different but bottom line is that they are the best portable sound that I can get.

Jul 16, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Good luck with the Etys when you get them. One suggestion: Maybe you would consider using the foamies to avoid possible ear problems in the future???? Might also want to consider getting a META 42 amp. If you aren't getting the power that you need for driving the HD580s, sounds like it's time to upgrade the amp. Of course, once you get the Ety's, you may not be that interested any longer in the 580s!!!

Good luck!
Bruce

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Having received a META42 in the post this morning, I can say hand on heart that the ETY ER4P & META42 combo smokes the hell out of the Senns, even with a well matched amp (a'la X-Can V2)... its amazingly detailed... But, only having listened for like 15 minutes, its far too early for me to make accurate impressions...

One thing I can vouch though, the META42 makes a CHA47 sound... almost murky in comparison, its as if the META takes a layer of protective film off of the music, letting you hear it how it was supposed to be heard...

But, as said... give me more time with it, and i'll try to do a more judgemental A/B
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Duncan
HI: where do you get this metal42 amp and how much does it cost? Is it better than the total airhead amp. Is it portable if so what batt. does it use? Do you know the m/w out put?

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi Lou,

My META, I got from JMT... Costings, it depends what you have put in there, can go up to $250 AFAIK, but can be made for a lot less than that (if you decide to get one, just ask whoever you elect to give you a list of options... what you need, what you can get away with, and see what the costings come out like, if its a bit too pricey, there are certain parts that are interchangeable)... I don't have a TAH, but I can say mine has a LOT more atmosphere, dynamics... heck, everything... over my X-Can... its in a different league completely... and MW? you have NO fear whatsoever of it being too quiet, I'm at about 30% power, and realistically its too loud
wink.gif

Oops, missed a bit... Batteries... this one uses a single 9V cell, but I know that there are some dual 9v options around too... I don't know what the sonic differences would be between 9 and 18v though... and this particular version (blue see-thru case) is about as long as a PCDP, and about a third as wide - most definetly able to fit into a pocket
smily_headphones1.gif

The more I listen, the more I love....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back