Why I don't wear cheap sunglasses
Aug 8, 2016 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
For years I've always worn cheap sunglasses but they always end up cracking or breaking without physical stress.

3 years ago, I went to the mall and paid $150 for a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses and they are still in perfect condition.

I know I could get them cheaper on eBay but when you go to the mall, it's easier to try them on and you will get a more accurate fitting. So that's I why I don't buy online and I pay full price at the official mall store.

So yeah, it's worth it buying expensive sunglasses.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 15
I have a pair of Adidas Evil Eye sunglasses (with a prescription inner lens attachment since I'm nearsighted) that cost between $300 and $400. They're made of allegedly the same titanium alloy as spacecraft, so the frame is very durable. Unfortunately, the outer lenses were ruined by rain one day, but they are easily replaceable.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 15
My uncle gave me a nice pair of Raybans last Christmas, the brown version of it was going for $600 on Amazon (mine was half that) and made me not want to regift it even to my brother. Problem is I started considering that because given my eyesight I'm legally blind without my prescription lenses so I can't use it. I found a few threads in sunglasses forums where people ordered prescription lenses from Rayban so they still get the same kind of polarized coating and colors, and more importantly one lens retains the Rayban logo, but I didn't get a reply there not the sunglasses threads in audio forums (this one included). I didn't even get a reply from Rayban when I sent an email through customer support. I asked local dealers here and all they say they will do is order other lenses and mount it on my Rayban frame.

I usually have a pair of prescription eyeglasses but with a tint on the lens as it's cheaper than transition lenses if you get the frames on sale and on top of that if I accidentally break my main glasses I have a pair ready (even with tint on them). Now I'm hoping I can use the Rayban frame and then get clear lenses on the frame that has the tinted lens, but apart from a couple of posts I came across elsewhere that claims Rayban can conk out or can work with other companies to make them, there seems to be no other trace of such a service. 
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 15

My uncle gave me a nice pair of Raybans last Christmas, the brown version of it was going for $600 on Amazon (mine was half that) and made me not want to regift it even to my brother. Problem is I started considering that because given my eyesight I'm legally blind without my prescription lenses so I can't use it. I found a few threads in sunglasses forums where people ordered prescription lenses from Rayban so they still get the same kind of polarized coating and colors, and more importantly one lens retains the Rayban logo, but I didn't get a reply there not the sunglasses threads in audio forums (this one included). I didn't even get a reply from Rayban when I sent an email through customer support. I asked local dealers here and all they say they will do is order other lenses and mount it on my Rayban frame.

I usually have a pair of prescription eyeglasses but with a tint on the lens as it's cheaper than transition lenses if you get the frames on sale and on top of that if I accidentally break my main glasses I have a pair ready (even with tint on them). Now I'm hoping I can use the Rayban frame and then get clear lenses on the frame that has the tinted lens, but apart from a couple of posts I came across elsewhere that claims Rayban can conk out or can work with other companies to make them, there seems to be no other trace of such a service. 
confused_face(1).gif

When I got the sunglasses I mentioned above, they were going to custom make the lenses for me so I could see properly with them...but the prescription was so strong that it was impossible, so instead, they just gave me a small lens attachment that connects to the inside. I don't think many other sunglasses are equipped for that, though.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 15

When I got the sunglasses I mentioned above, they were going to custom make the lenses for me so I could see properly with them...but the prescription was so strong that it was impossible, so instead, they just gave me a small lens attachment that connects to the inside. I don't think many other sunglasses are equipped for that, though.

Yeah but Rayban didn't even get back to me to tell me if the particular frame I had could fit the prescription lenses I needed. Also my glasses are thick now because I get them in cheap plastic for around $100/pair. If I get them from Rayban I don't mind paying for glass, which apart from still getting the logo and their polarized coating, is one of the reasons. Glass will be a bit thinner although heavier (which isn't a problem since I won't be wearing them all the time).

A dealer actually showed me a glass lens with similar specs to mine and from just looking at these with the plastic lenses they look like they're 2/3 of the thickness, and according to that dealer they will cut the lens so any excess in thickness will protrude to the rear and will not be visible. Still, the thing is they'll order the lenses from another company, and knowing that there's at least a couple of people out there who got prescription lenses from Rayban, I'd at least like to know how to get that and how much it is. That way I can compare if (presumably) spending more on Rayban lenses will be worth it over the ones that are available for practically any frame. Like if the difference is $150 plus shipping I wouldn't mind; if the Rayban lenses are double the price I was quoted for here, which will make it $800, then I might as well just get the other brand.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 15
  Yeah but Rayban didn't even get back to me to tell me if the particular frame I had could fit the prescription lenses I needed. Also my glasses are thick now because I get them in cheap plastic for around $100/pair. If I get them from Rayban I don't mind paying for glass, which apart from still getting the logo and their polarized coating, is one of the reasons. Glass will be a bit thinner although heavier (which isn't a problem since I won't be wearing them all the time).

A dealer actually showed me a glass lens with similar specs to mine and from just looking at these with the plastic lenses they look like they're 2/3 of the thickness, and according to that dealer they will cut the lens so any excess in thickness will protrude to the rear and will not be visible. Still, the thing is they'll order the lenses from another company, and knowing that there's at least a couple of people out there who got prescription lenses from Rayban, I'd at least like to know how to get that and how much it is. That way I can compare if (presumably) spending more on Rayban lenses will be worth it over the ones that are available for practically any frame. Like if the difference is $150 plus shipping I wouldn't mind; if the Rayban lenses are double the price I was quoted for here, which will make it $800, then I might as well just get the other brand.

Looked into it for a moment. Would these work? Forgive me if I'm way off the mark.

http://www.replacementlensexpress.com
http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/brands/ray-ban

If those aren't suitable, perhaps you could call the company on the phone if they aren't replying via email.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.replacementlensexpress.com

This is basically the sort that I can get off the opticians' shops here - various brands, different materials, pricing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/brands/ray-ban

I came across that link when I Googled it but the interface is horrible. Click on any of the frames and scroll down, they have an option for "clear or sun" lenses, but I can't find where to order so I can just put in what's in my prescription as mine includes Left and Right eye nearsightedness and astigmatism correction values, plus the measurements of how far apart my pupils are and such, to get a quote or order the lens, and then I'll have them installed here. The note on the page that says "requires the use of Rayban frames" plus "schedule an appointment!" are clues why - this is just basically an ad page, not a shopping page, so they'll take their own tests of a customer's eyes and then make the lenses, and you bring the frame. And I can't even find the frame I have on Lenscrafters' website.

This is a problem because I don't have Lenscrafters where I am, and why I approached an optician chain here that is an authorized Rayban dealer, but the only Rayban lenses they had were replacement sun lenses. Even if you bought Rayban eyeglass frames you pick from whatever was locally available for prescription lenses instead of coordinating with Rayban to get them and then maybe cut them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If those aren't suitable, perhaps you could call the company on the phone if they aren't replying via email.

I did actually. I mentioned already that I contacted Rayban (Rayban Phl, US, and heck even their HQ if they can direct me to where I can get that done) right after trying to navigate the Lenscrafters site (and then again a couple weeks later), but got no replies. Then I clicked on the pop-up in the Lenscrafters site on "if you have any questions," giving them the model of the frame, what I needed, etc, plus a link to the scanned copy of my prescription, and got no replies either.

That said Lenscrafters is my back up in case I'm in the US, and I recently was informed that I might have to fly over before December (and not on my own dime). Still, that's not really something I'm enthusiastic about. My brother, dad, and mom don't like their glasses from there that when anybody's flying in (or back) they scan their latest prescriptions so I can get them glasses here. They spend less (ie they spend the same money as what isn't covered by their health insurance if they get them from Lenscrafters), the lens quality is better, and the workmanship is better - ie the lenses don't just pop out of the frame at some point unless they dropped them (and they're not me, so that almost never happens). I won't have a problem with the lens quality since I'm getting Rayban, but if their cutting work on the lens sucks, then it'll pop out and popping it in isn't something you do only once if it popped out easily (ie it wasn't cut to fit the exact shape of the frame, so it might be a hair too small).

I just hope that in this case they have the right data for my frame and then the computer can cut the freaking lens properly so they stay on there until I get a new prescription.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 15
I have a pair of Ray-bans new wayfarer and I absolutely love them. I've also had two pairs
Of Oakleys and I can genuinely say that they are pretty equal to me. I love the black iridium polarized lenses from Oakley, but they scratch super easily. And I love the glass lenses from Ray-bans, but they alter the color of things unlike the oakleys which just make colors pop by removing the sun bleaching effects that comes with wearing no sunglasses. If I could get glass lenses from Oakley I would be incredibly happy.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 15
And I love the glass lenses from Ray-bans, but they alter the color of things unlike the oakleys which just make colors pop by removing the sun bleaching effects that comes with wearing no sunglasses. 

That's from the polarized coating - here's an ad photo for a polarizer filter that screws onto a camera lens. Look at the difference in hue - sky is a deeper blue, the hedge is a deeper green, even the road is a more natural color. I always have one of these with my lenses.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 15
  That's from the polarized coating - here's an ad photo for a polarizer filter that screws onto a camera lens. Look at the difference in hue - sky is a deeper blue, the hedge is a deeper green, even the road is a more natural color. I always have one of these with my lenses.

I used to use filters like that sometimes when I went out and took nature photos with my trusty Pentax K1000 manual SLR camera.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to use filters like that sometimes when I went out and took nature photos with my trusty Pentax K1000 manual SLR camera.

One of my frustrating experiences with these though is buying them. A Kenko dealer here had almost everything, except the 49mm CPL filters (they had the UV, Skylight, and ND which wasn't necessary due to the built-in ND filter and the 30sec max shutter speed, and even other brands for close-up filters). So I ordered one from Amazon US, which imports them from Japan. 

When my cousin came home with the filter to save me shipping costs (but had to wait a couple months), I get the filter on the X100, and before I even get to use it I spotted a gigantic and frustrating marking on the filter frame.

"Made in the PHILIPPINES." Well. Welcome home, I think. $*%$&%$*(&%(*#@#*(@#*$*(&(#)$#**&#*(^!!!!!

---

Mini update on the sunglasses: a friend just told me to check out another optician who has access to Nikon lenses (as in eyeglasses), in case I might be alright with those as opposed to Rayban lenses. Something tells me this will probably cost waaaaay more than the other lenses I already inquired about. If this costs anywhere near the price of the 6.7mm to 13mm UWA for the Nikon1 I'm gonna pass.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 15

Yep. What I like about the black iridium lenses is that they don't tint anything, the effect is like the lense you showed. But like I said, the lenses themselves are made of oakleys patented polycarbonate, and even though it can stop a spike falling from like 6 feet, it scratches way more easily than the Ray-bans glass lenses.
The ray-bans are the normal green which actually do really well without tinting anything too much. But the new wayfarer has the problem of showing the reflection of the side of my face on the edge of the lense, which can get a bit annoying.

May 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Yep. What I like about the black iridium lenses is that they don't tint anything, the effect is like the lense you showed. But like I said, the lenses themselves are made of oakleys patented polycarbonate, and even though it can stop a spike falling from like 6 feet, it scratches way more easily than the Ray-bans glass lenses.
The ray-bans are the normal green which actually do really well without tinting anything too much. But the new wayfarer has the problem of showing the reflection of the side of my face on the edge of the lense, which can get a bit annoying.
Maybe, irrespective of how much you paid for your glasses and irrespective of who the designer names on your glasses are, the eyes and brain needs sunlight so the body can create vitamin d. Also maybe the reason why theres so much skin cancer in the world is because people wear sungalsses and the sunglasses tell the brain, it's not sunny no need for the body to produce melanin then. Although it may also be contributed to, from man made fibres made from oil which is carcenogenic, or even sun tan lotions, creams or oils or whatever people baste themselves in, before slowly frying/roasting themselves brown, IMHO.
PS nothing to do with above post specifically, couldn't get rid of quote which I inadvertantly used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back