Why Headphone Manufacturers Don't Make PS1, HP1000, R10 Anymore?
Jan 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Varma

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder why Headphone Manufacturers don't Make PS1, HP1000, R10 anymore when there is lot of demand.

Except R10 all the other headphones were not that expensive when they are released, HP1000 sold for $400 - 500, PS1 - $1400.

Since these are already designed they don't even have to spend any money on R&D.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd imagine it's due to the actual demand of said headphones. Granted they are highly sought after here, but outside of head-fi who really knows about them, or the potential that they have? As big as we are, we are actually a pretty small market in their eyes. For most of the headphone makers out there the real money is in the cheap consumer phones that they can crank out and sell to the masses. The fact that some of the headphones were intended as a limited run type or were just plan poor sellers are also factors to consider. Also, as is the case of the K1000, some of the machinery used to make them is no longer available, and they don't see it as profitable to re-acquire said machinery to resume production. At least, that's what I heard somewhere around here. Someone more enlightened could tell you more on the subject, and I hope they do, as I'm pretty curious as to the exact reason myself.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Heck, even a revisit to their old flagship, the k340, would be head-fi catnip. Re-examining the synthesis of electrostatic and dynamic drivers. It's tough banking on R&D for such niche market, it's easier trying to push budget buds for the mp3 market with bass-boost toggles.
I threw-up in my mouth a little.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Except for the R10 they were both limited edition headphones, where the number of units to be produced were set early in the process.
* HP1000 = 1000 units.
* PS1 = 250 units.

While the R10 were produced for 15-20 years (if I remember correctly) and probably did not sell enough to keep up production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back