Why hasn't it been done yet?
Sep 19, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Why haven't DAP manufacturers made a DAP that can interface with iTunes? Or, even to avoid all that hassle, just play M4P(copyrighted material) files?

It would make sense considering the iPods' hold on the DAP market. If at the VERY LEAST make it able to play the files in your iTunes library if not able to sync up with iTunes itself...or am I missing something here?

THEN also be able to play your lossless files....makes sense, does it not?

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 20
But the M4P format isn't "apples" format, just like AAC isn't either (I may be wrong there, but I'm guessing that's a true statement)....why hasn't anybody made a DAP to play it?

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the M4P format isn't "apples" format, just like AAC isn't either (I may be wrong there, but I'm guessing that's a true statement)....why hasn't anybody made a DAP to play it?

The Fairplay DRM is controlled by Apple and they refuse to license it. This doesn't personally bother me at all, I don't think music should be DRMed anyway and do not buy it. As far as I'm aware, if you download the DRM-free iTunes+ files from the iTunes store they are just AACs and will play on any player capable of playing AAC format.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 20
But not all songs are available DRM-Free.

I'm frustrated, because my GF has a tons of songs on her iTunes that rock, but I want them on another DAP....that's not an iPod. And there's really no way around it other than burning to CD, then reripping into another format....sucky.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

But not all songs are available DRM-Free.

I'm frustrated, because my GF has a tons of songs on her iTunes that rock, but I want them on another DAP....that's not an iPod. And there's really no way around it other than burning to CD, then reripping into another format....sucky.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

I think the argument goes that Apple has some deal with the record companies to patch any hole found in their Fairplay DRM within 24-hours. Apple in turn argue that they can only achieve these 24-hour patches for software they control and therefore they cannot risk licensing the DRM without risk of violating their deal with the record companies. This is where it starts getting ugly because you have Apple's competition wanting access to this DRM, the record companies saying Apple should license their DRM and Apple saying that they can't and the real solution is to remove the DRM.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, that would be gnar if they did. I just think it sucks that I can't take any songs off her putor unless I burn it to CD. Then, after all the converting, it potentially can sound like crap. Hell, I can't even take the songs off her iPod and add them to my library....

But you're right, the real solution is to remove the DRM....and we both know, it's not gonna happen, entirely atleast.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

But you're right, the real solution is to remove the DRM....and we both know, it's not gonna happen, entirely atleast.

Actually I think it's inevitable. Not soon perhaps but eventually.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Why haven't DAP manufacturers made a DAP that can interface with iTunes? Or, even to avoid all that hassle, just play M4P(copyrighted material) files?

Apple iPod's anyone...
Or am I missing a point here (DAP manufactures = check, Interface (?) with iTunes = check)?
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 20
Way back in the dark ages when I had an iRiver player, iTunes could load it. I guess that must have changed at some point. That was four or five years ago.

See ya
Steve

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Lest we also forget that opening up iTunes to other players would cut into Apple's market share?
iTunes has become such a familiar product that your average consumer wants the whole package. They had a fantastic idea making iTunes a free product. People who don't have an mp3 player use it to organize their music, and when the time comes, they have a better chance of buying an ipod because of its integration, and the fact that they're used to iTunes. Just a thought.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 20
But you would think somebody would reverse engineer a DAP to interface with it. Kinda like how you can buy various brands of docks or chargers for your iPod....it gives you an alternative...

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

But you would think somebody would reverse engineer a DAP to interface with it. Kinda like how you can buy various brands of docks or chargers for your iPod....it gives you an alternative...

Illegal in America. DMCA and all. Circumventing a copy protection mechanism.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

DMCA and all. Circumventing a copy protection mechanism.

Yes, in the US even thinking about circumventing copy protection is punishable by death. OK, not really, that was only in the first draft...
smily_headphones1.gif

Eventually either Apple and other manufacturers are going to have to stop trying to lock customers to their brand with proprietary DRM, or DRM itself will have to go. Since vendors are loathe to give up the former the end result will probably be the latter, and that's for the better anyway.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, that would be gnar if they did. I just think it sucks that I can't take any songs off her putor unless I burn it to CD. Then, after all the converting, it potentially can sound like crap. Hell, I can't even take the songs off her iPod and add them to my library....

Yes, you can. The DRM allows for up to 5 computers to be licensed to a specific Apple iTunes account. Just have your girlfriend sign in from your computer and have her allow your computer to be one of the five.

Once you do that, there are several programs that let you copy music from the iTunes library. On the mac, I use one called Senuti. It works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back