Why has prices for used ZMFs been falling recently?
Sep 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xxearvinxx

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know why ZMF headphones have seemed to drop in value over the last year?
I’ve seen several WTS listing with amazing deals, well below what they used to sell for. A year ago they would have sold in seconds for the prices they are being listed at now.

For a long time each ZMF model had a specific price range that they tended to sell at in the used market.

VC ~ $2,200
Auteur ~ $1,500
Aeolus ~ $1,100

Recently though, I’ve noticed they have all started to sell for $300 - $500 less.
Any reason why?

@AudioDuck I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 17
It might be that quite a few people now have sets and are no longer in the market. The scarcity and rarity of the units used to push the second hand market prices up but most of those sets are no longer being sold as people are now holding on to the units that they love.

I myself have bought and sold multiple pairs to acquire the specific wood type and aesthetic that I'm looking for and won't be buying another until Zach announces a more bespoke option for complete customization.

I've noticed that ZMF has made some complete custom units for specific clients requests but only for a handful of special clients. He's mentioned that ZMF may offer that in the near future but hasn't given a date on that quite yet.

Auteur has dropped because of the Auteur Classic and Aeolus has dropped because the last four to five months we've seen some huge discounts on the second hand market that's driven the price down drastically.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 17
Ah, I some how missed the Auteur Classic release. I stepped away for a few months. I thought the Auteur had simply been discontinued in place of the Atrium.

I do agree that most people have probably found the wood and aesthetic colors they have been looking for by now. So I guess that could account for some of the lack of interest.
I personally did the same with the VC going from MonkeyPod to Camphor Burl. I love them and don’t have a reason to look for another one anymore.

Custom units would be very tempting though. I imagine the wait times on those, if it happens, will be quite long.
I wonder if Zach would only open a small number of custom order during ZMF November or something. Just adding it as an option on their website year round would probably be overwhelming at first.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for starting this string!

I suspect there are multiple factors:
  • Multiple units available at once (relatively large supply): In a niche market such as this, it only takes 2-3 units available simultaneously to drive down prices, unless sellers have a lot of time to sell. I’ve noticed quite a few (5+ per Verité model) being available within a short window of time, likely affecting price.
  • Economy in the U.S.: There are significant concerns among consumers at the moment of a recession looming. People with limited job security (or even just a conservative view on their finances) may feel pressure to sell some of their gear, at least the more expensive pieces.
  • Changes to ZMF model lineup: This is purely speculation, but it is also possible that some Head-Fiers are interested in the Atrium, but need to sell another headphone to afford it. Selling another ZMF unit could seem logical to them, depending on their collection.
It’s also worth noting that prior to this (somewhat limited) downturn in pre-owned ZMF headphone pricing, ZMFs held their prices at a much higher price point percentage of original purchase price, so it could also be argued that this is a shift to a more “natural” price point. I.e. closer to the more common 50-60 percent of original retail price… and even so, $1650-1700 for Verité closed is well above that usual depreciation.

Regardless, ZMF units remain amazing in quality, and are true heirloom headphones for the right owner.

I admit that owning a Verité (not sure between open or closed though) is a goal of mine, and if this price shift remains through the holidays (it might, given holiday sales), it puts a unit closer to my grasp.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for starting this string!

I suspect there are multiple factors:
  • Multiple units available at once (relatively large supply): In a niche market such as this, it only takes 2-3 units available simultaneously to drive down prices, unless sellers have a lot of time to sell. I’ve noticed quite a few (5+ per Verité model) being available within a short window of time, likely affecting price.
  • Economy in the U.S.: There are significant concerns among consumers at the moment of a recession looming. People with limited job security (or even just a conservative view on their finances) may feel pressure to sell some of their gear, at least the more expensive pieces.
  • Changes to ZMF model lineup: This is purely speculation, but it is also possible that some Head-Fiers are interested in the Atrium, but need to sell another headphone to afford it. Selling another ZMF unit could seem logical to them, depending on their collection.
It’s also worth noting that prior to this (somewhat limited) downturn in pre-owned ZMF headphone pricing, ZMFs held their prices at a much higher price point percentage of original purchase price, so it could also be argued that this is a shift to a more “natural” price point. I.e. closer to the more common 50-60 percent of original retail price… and even so, $1650-1700 for Verité closed is well above that usual depreciation.

Regardless, ZMF units remain amazing in quality, and are true heirloom headphones for the right owner.

I admit that owning a Verité (not sure between open or closed though) is a goal of mine, and the f this price shift remains through the holidays (it might, given holiday sales), it puts a unit closer to my grasp.
^^This^^^

I think the new models and current economy have had the biggest effect, but all of the things mentioned have had some influence. It certainly has nothing to do with quality or performance which IMHO is top notch with ZMF.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 17
Prices of used items like headphones are on decline....lot of Susvara sold were $3200. HD800s is below $1000. DAVE was sold for 6500 just the other day. I guess the inflation and all has obviously hit the purchasing power of ppl and also has driven many for urgent need of cash and quick sale.

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 17
Prices of used items like headphones are on decline....lot of Susvara sold were $3200. HD800s is below $1000. DAVE was sold for 6500 just the other day. I guess the inflation and all has obviously hit the purchasing power of ppl and also has driven many for urgent need of cash and quick sale.
This.

Hardly a situation exclusive to ZMF.

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 17
Times are tough these days.....I even saw someone selling a used pair of PortaPros in the classifieds lol

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Does anyone know why ZMF headphones have seemed to drop in value over the last year?
I’ve seen several WTS listing with amazing deals, well below what they used to sell for. A year ago they would have sold in seconds for the prices they are being listed at now.

For a long time each ZMF model had a specific price range that they tended to sell at in the used market.

VC ~ $2,200
Auteur ~ $1,500
Aeolus ~ $1,100

Recently though, I’ve noticed they have all started to sell for $300 - $500 less.
Any reason why?

@AudioDuck I’d love to hear your thoughts.

It might have something to do with the fact that the Classified Section has basically become the ZMF Classified section.

For a while the LCD-5 was king of the Classifieds, along with the DCA Stealth, and the Empyrean is still going strong, but the ZMF Ads are Legion in the Classified Section.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Not just zmf. People are skint basically

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 17
It might have something to do with the fact that the Classified Section has basically become the ZMF Classified section.

For a while the LCD-5 was king of the Classifieds, along with the DCA Stealth, and the Empyrean is still going strong, but the ZMF Ads are Legion in the Classified Section.
I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I hope it continues until January- only the ads, not the challenging economic conditions (and yes, I know they are connected, but hope springs eternal).

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 17
I’ll believe most everything has been said on the broader whys of things dropping in price, not just ZMF. For a more specific reason I also believe that it speaks to the quality of the Atrium. As good as previous ZMF models are, the Atrium just levels up and can easily hang with more expensive cans. I own the Aeolus and have heard both the open and closed Verite having owned the former for a bit and after hearing the Atrium I’m blown away by the sound.

Each of the ZMF models certainly have their own niche and they all sound different, but they have always enjoyed a bit of a unique sound that has, to me, usually made them difficult to compare to other headphones. The reason I kept the Aeolus as opposed to the Verite is that it leaned into the relaxed warmth I tend to associate with ZMF’s, whereas I preferred LCD 5 over the Verite. Having only heard Atrium for a short amount of time and it could certainly be a case of just wanting something I don’t already own, it may have been the most enjoyable headphone I’ve listened to.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 17
As others have already said, I think the main culprit are economic concerns. Inflation is still not under control, people are anticipating a recession/we are kinda already in one and, while we all love our headphones dearly, ultimately they aren't a necessity when it comes to putting a roof over your head vs. headphones. All these things are just making people more cautious of their spending and really deciding if they NEED that new headphone or not, which the answer is increasingly becoming "no" until there is an economic turn around.

Same boat for me - really wanted one of the new stabilized VC's to replace my Camphor Burl one but decided right now I can't justify buying it just for the color/look I want when the performance will be the same and I love my current VC's. A few months ago or sometime last year when things were still on the up and up, I might have made a different decision.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 17
This is ultimately a perfect place to see the "real life" effects of a recession in practice - not just a textbook.

Certain consumer goods markets like luxury headphones will take a dive, as @SlothRock mentioned when people prioritize some things over others.

I picked up on this a few months back when I was trying to sell my Elex and was taking a lot longer than I expected.

There is still a market for these things, but it has dried up some.

It might be this site popularity though as well. I have noticed the forums are not nearly as popular as in the old days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back