Why Grado RS-1 only rated 3 in Headroom?
Dec 15, 2006 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry I thought, I was just wondering, since many people are crazy about them, why it's rated only 3 in Headroom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any comments? Speaking of which I have ordered one for myself today, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered to me.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 54
That's the value rating HeadRoom gives headphones......it's not a quality rating.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 54
I'm awaiting my RS-2s bought as new, used having played one CD @ 40% off retail....

I believe headroom takes into consideration price and ranks that factor amongst the many... Correct?

I would imagine also the comfort factor for most people must also be a consideration. Fortunately for myself I have smaller ears which is ideal to be Grado friendly. My ear actually fits inside the flats delivered here today...

Having a tube amp also is another factor collectively bringing their value factor for myself up to a 5 out of 5!

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 54
It's pretty well known the RS-1's are a tad over the top pricey compared to what you can get for half the price (650's, K701, DT990's, etc). That's why they don't get 5.

However they rate their amps all at a value rating of 5 =b. Their amps get very pricey very fast.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 54
I would never say that Grados are high value (I'm not saying they're bad at all, folks.....just that there are other cans that are better at their respective price points). However, HeadRoom's value ratings never makes sense to me.....they give the HD580 a lower value rating then the HD650: how is that???
blink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never say that Grados are high value (I'm not saying they're bad at all, folks.....just that there are other cans that are better at their respective price points). However, HeadRoom's value ratings never makes sense to me.....they give the HD580 a lower value rating then the HD650: how is that???
blink.gif

Its nuts.. You can get top of line 650 for less then 250.00 new, or get the Grado top of line for 1,000. Some people must really like thay Grado sound..
blink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its nuts.. You can get top of line 650 for less then 250.00 new, or get the Grado top of line for 1,000. Some people must really like thay Grado sound..
blink.gif

It's nuts to compare totally unique sonic signatured, wooden bowl housing, hand built, low volume sales headphones to the mass marketed massproduced phones of the Senns 6xx type and base it all on price being the deciding factor.

Apparently you are right, some people really do like them.

Some folks have expensive amps of 700-1000 or more invested, even Headrooms offerings up to 2000-3000 and a $700 headphone is not chosen based upon its cost so much then, would it. Rather than balance if it does sound better and that buyer feels it to be better.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 54
they deserve a 3 on a value scale... simple as that.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

Not to get off topic...But where can you get the HD650s for $250 new?

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 54
The RS-2s get a Headroom value rating of 3.5 ;-}

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some folks have expensive amps of 700-1000 or more invested, even Headrooms offerings up to 2000-3000 and a $700 headphone is not chosen based upon its cost so much then, would it. Rather than balance if it does sound better and that buyer feels it to be better.

Yep, I'm getting a $1000 amp and have a $1000 DAC just for headphones that aren't more then $300 each. Some normal people would think I'm nuts for spending so much. But I can see the differences, and how it brings out my headphones to sound like loudspeakers. So I can't place judgement on people who like those $1000 headphones!
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's nuts to compare totally unique sonic signatured, wooden bowl housing, hand built, low volume sales headphones to the mass marketed massproduced phones of the Senns 6xx type and base it all on price being the deciding factor.

Apparently you are right, some people really do like them.

For some audiophiles the above holds true.. For the rest of us... You can get a great headphone for 250.00 or 1,000. People can argue which is better till they are blue in the face..But the best bang for your dollar has to be the 650 over the GS-1. I don't think the Grado sound is worth 750.00 more.. I would like to get a taste of it, on a lower end model though.. Headphone reviews also give Grado's subpar marks on RS1-RS2..These reviews are done by regular joes.. It's just weird.. I hear great things about Grados from pro reviewers, But with the general public it's more hit & miss..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back