Why Grado is for rock?
Mar 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #31 of 62
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, but...
Pink Floyd needs soundstage, something that Grados lack (which isn't always a bad thing).
However, Grados with metal...
balls to the wall
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #32 of 62
I'am not a huge fan of rock, but did become one when i got my grado's I've seen myself buying more rock music.

The guitars, they've got this amazing timbre to them, can't be beaten by any other headphone.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beside wanting a "rock" headphone, I also want it to be a nice complement of my STAX. And AFAIK, DT880 is not a good choice for that.

Oh, Grado will be a great choice for that. Electrostats sound like they're the exact opposite of Grados. Stats are smooth, airy, soundstagey, and with no punch but super fast detail. Grados have next to no soundstage, very punchy, also fast, grainy or smooth as the song calls for it.

I'm dying to try a stat. I think the advantage the HF2 gives over the SR60i in soundstage just opened my eyes to the concept. I've never owned a headphone that does good soundstage. Classical sounds about 75% better on the HF2. Can't imagine what a more-than-half-adequate soundstage will do for it. Won't hold a candle to the Grados in rock though, I imagine!

Also, you guys got me listening to Led Zeppelin, and I need to go to sleep!

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'am not a huge fan of rock, but did become one when i got my grado's I've seen myself buying more rock music.

The guitars, they've got this amazing timbre to them, can't be beaten by any other headphone.

x2

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyfüd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, but...
Pink Floyd needs soundstage, something that Grados lack (which isn't always a bad thing).
However, Grados with metal...
balls to the wall
tongue.gif

I prefer to listen to my HF-2 with jumbos which expand the soundstage of the Grado while still keeping it's sound sig in tact for the most part. (Although some feel it sucks out the mids a bit. I feel it balances out) Even still, with the bowls the HF-2 does well with Pink Floyd. If pushed, I'll tell you I like the deeper soundstage of the AKG 701 better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #36 of 62
Having owned the SR-325i for 3 years, I can safely say they are NOT rock headphones. They do some rock, like grunge and classic rock well, but when things get crowded it gets really dense... grados start to sound like a wall of music quickly with the wrong music. Grunge is very satisfying... sounds raw and "right".

Metal is a big no no with grados IMO. All you will hear is the Ride cymbal in one ear, and everything else smeared together. Grados are very fatiguing in that respect imo.

Grados also have a midbass bumb and rapid bass roll off after that. If you are used to higher tier headphones, or more accurate headphones, this might not be pleasing. I found the bass to be very "one noted" and the more you become aware of it, the more annoying it is.

The highs are very magical and sparkly though. They are always a headphone you can put on for a short period of time and be impressed. Longer listening sessions might leave you wanting more.

I think the safest advice is that Grados are not hi-fi headphones in the sense they are extremely coloured and inaccurate. There is no IMO is that statement as their signature and response graphs are not ashamed to agree with it. They are hit and miss with lots of music. What they do well is a joy to hear, what they don't is a trainwreck.

You can't go wrong owning a pair as you will always find something you like to use them to listen to... whether or not they are worth having for this specialized use is another story.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer to listen to my HF-2 with jumbos which expand the soundstage of the Grado while still keeping it's sound sig in tact for the most part. (Although some feel it sucks out the mids a bit. I feel it balances out) Even still, with the bowls the HF-2 does well with Pink Floyd. If pushed, I'll tell you I like the deeper soundstage of the AKG 701 better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Progressive rock bands and the 701s are great. Genesis is so much more fun.

RS-1s are used for electric rock and blues and live shows. They are pretty good out of the ipod.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Metal is a big no no with grados IMO. All you will hear is the Ride cymbal in one ear, and everything else smeared together. Grados are very fatiguing in that respect imo.

Grados also have a midbass bumb and rapid bass roll off after that. If you are used to higher tier headphones, or more accurate headphones, this might not be pleasing. I found the bass to be very "one noted" and the more you become aware of it, the more annoying it is.

Thank you for that precaution
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems there will be no Grado soon
frown.gif
I'm having an offer on Gamma-2 so Grado needed to be put aside.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Progressive rock bands and the 701s are great. Genesis is so much more fun.

RS-1s are used for electric rock and blues and live shows. They are pretty good out of the ipod.

Not to take this thread too far off topic but I agree with you with progressive bands and the 701. The Moody Blues, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rush, ELO, you name it. Pink Floyd being the king of prog imho.

Standard rock like Zepp and Skynyrd and metal and punk like Metallica and the Clash (did you follow all those 'Ands'?) may be better suited to Grado. But I have no problems with Grado and Floyd.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
13,345,333x better?

Where did you get that number
biggrin.gif

Beside wanting a "rock" headphone, I also want it to be a nice complement of my STAX. And AFAIK, DT880 is not a good choice for that.

Oh yeah the DT 880 is definitely not a compliment for the Stax. They're more similar than different.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to Floyd on an HF-2 with modified flats and a ring-extender made from the bottom of a pair of bowls. The HF-2 kicks like a mule but without the rolled-off highs of a Sennheiser 650 that would allow that headphone to be cranked up louder. The extender allows more HF extension, but the firmer cushion material keeps the bass from dissipating. If I were listening to the same track on the K-701, it would be more spacious but I'd have issues with the bass.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 62
How strange, no mention of the Sony MDR V6. Just play 'Appetite For Destruction' by Guns N'Roses and listen for example to the last minute of 'Welcome To The Jungle' or the intro of 'It's So Easy' and you know what I mean. The V6 is by no means perfect but for Rock the V6 is quite capable and very very very fun
smily_headphones1.gif

That bass really adds to the sound...

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #43 of 62
I am loving my 325i, I can imagine how great rs1i is :love

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #44 of 62
The secret to rock IMO is the mids (aside from speed) so the Grados have it covered. You need something that can reproduce distorted electrics properly. Grados are great at this. Another brand that is really good at this is Ultimate Ears.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #45 of 62
There is a woody BMW325i, oops, SR325i for sale here. If it's not because I spent my last $ for the Gamma-2 I would definitely pick it
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back