Why Future Sonics EM3 not popular around here?
Jul 14, 2005 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

albau

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious. I know few lurking fans of EM3 do exist but when IEMs around $100 are mentioned all you hear are usual suspects like EX81, E2c, ERP-6i and sometimes E3c.

I understand that FS stuff including EM3 are the only IEMs to use dynamic drivers (MG4 in FS-speak). They claim their drivers to be vastly superior to "hearing aid" armature drivers, even double/triple designs. So how do these FS drivers sound compared to other IEMs?

Btw, judging by pics on FS site EM3 looked to me really ugly. Is UPS brown the only color they come? Site by itself is kinda amateurish and hard to use. They also don't seem to have an online store.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 7
I heard that EM3 has some crazy microphonics. Basically what I heard is that you can only listen to it in static, any other movement you did will cause microphonics.

Also, it is pretty damn ugly.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not too sure about the microphonics, but I do agree that they're, uh... not "asthetically pleasing".
icon10.gif
But i heard that they're best for listening to rock music. Sort of like the Grado's of IEMs (which it really is, especially if you count the looks). They also ONLY come in foam tips. I don't think there are any other options in terms of tips to use.

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 7
the EM3 were the biggest earphone disappointment by far for me. IMO their sound is nowhere near balanced... bass&highs are there and ok, but where are the mids? I have to admit that my EM3 had no burn-in at all because I sent them back early. but I personally think that it should'nt be necessary for good phones to burn them in for ages before you can have fun when listening to them. I also doubt that it would have actually changed that much, as I don't believe that only the burn-in effect itself could have made their sound acceptable enough for me.

so I really understand that they are not popular at all!

btw, albau, you forgot to mention the MD33 in the $100 range... they should be usual suspects too!
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 7
I've been waffling over what to get for ages, but I've seen the EM3s recommended a lot. I decided that they weren't for me because of the lack of reusable eartips, but there are a lot of people who consider them very good quality for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back