Why don't the other headphone manufacturers get a clue on the cables like Sennheiser?
Mar 21, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

newguru

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like Sennheiser has the best system where you can easilly swap cables out on their headphones.

I wonder why other manufacturers don't wise up and do their upper level headphones the same way? i.e. AKG, Grado, etc.

It is just arrogance by the manufacturers or do you think they just feel they aren't necessary to swap out to get their intended sound?

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like Sennheiser has the best system where you can easilly swap cables out on their headphones.

I wonder why other manufacturers don't wise up and do their upper level headphones the same way? i.e. AKG, Grado, etc.

It is just arrogance by the manufacturers or do you think they just feel they aren't necessary to swap out to get their intended sound?

My guess would be that since 99.99% of the population would never do this its just an added expense that is used by few consumers. And I think almost by definition when you swap out the cables your changing their intended sound, which if my company I wouldnt necessarily make it easy to modify possibly making them sound lousy. My guess is Senn didn't intend it for sound but as way to easily change damaged cables.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 13
I agree with Micheal, the people here are in the minority of all the people who listen to headphones. Even the people who buy $300 headphones arent always people who know that a cable can change the sound. So for the companies, its just an unnecessary expense.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Maybe it's cause nobody else makes their cables so darned long!

With a cable so long it's easy to step on one when it falls in a tangle on the floor and then the listener tries to stand up!
frown.gif

It's easy to plug back in!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oops...."not everybody" makes their cables so darned long!

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 13
I dont know about that, these new dt770's I got put new meaning to a long cable for me. I thought the sr60 was long, and the 770's put them to shame.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know about that, these new dt770's I got put new meaning to a long cable for me. I thought the sr60 was long, and the 770's put them to shame.

Yup; you'd have the same problem I do going from my MS-1 to my HD600, you have a ten footer too! Careful standing up! It's darned traumatic when part of the cable falls off so suddenly!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: I changed my original post!

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The manufacturer doesn't deliberately retard the sound quality through the cable, make the cable hard to change over then sit there laughing. Neither do they set up a driver to be dumb in performance for the cable.

In theory, you pay your money etc... the less you pay, the more the manufacturer will optimise the sound quality for the driver, cable and it's most common use. Example, a £150 pair of headphones primarily aimed at iPod users will be optimised for that use. It is likely that the cable will be built more towards durability at the cost of sound quality.

With a £X,000 headphone, id expect the manufacturer to have done as much research and development into reducing the compromises of a headphone as possible. Yes you will get stronger cable but you'll also get a minimal impact on soundquality etc.

However with these Uber headphones you tend to get true reproduction no-one can hear. More worringly, people try and listen for things in headphone and speaker quality that either don't exist or is impossible to hear with the human ear. Obviously im talking about the high end equipment here with low production volumes.

Edit: Before someone gets this the wrong way round, im not critisising anyone directly or nowt.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Sennheiser by pure accident, i believe, created a whole new market for audio enthusiasts. with all the aftermarket cables out there, you would think other companies would make their headphones with detachable cords as well. probably just don't want to appear like second rate Senns. also, if other companies did do this, there would be more choices for balanced amps. that would be a huge plus.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can change cables on Ultrasones. ^^

Ok, so its them and Sennheiser then that are the only ones that I'm aware of then.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Of course the flip to this question is why does Senn degrade sound quality by putting a plug in the music path and other manufact's are not willing to take that performance hit
wink.gif

While this is taken to the extreme I do subscribe to that philosophy in general, that the less connections, solder points etc the better.

Then of course you have the camp that say cables make no difference, so I can see why manufacturers do not put them in.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only the HD650 and high impedence ones have these easy switch cables?

Do cables really change the sound THAT much?

I always thought:
Headphones
source
amp
cables.

SA5000 + HD 650 cable = perceptible differences in my experience. Not significant but noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back