Why don't people use logic anymore?
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so I'm at work to day and my co-worker and I are talking, and he says...

"so I bought a new router this weekend"

"Oh, really? what you get?" I ask innocently...

So he tells me how he went to the Apple store to get a new router as his old one wasn't working. Spent a good amount on an Airport (top of the line he says), He wouldn't say how much, he mumble something like "over $150" - so I'm guessing it wasn't cheap.

Thing is.. here's why he did so..

He read an article on securing your wi-fi connection. Fair enough. So I humour him and agree it's a worthwhile idea.
"I used WPA2" he says,
"oh, good idea" I agree (well it is better than WEP).
"So I got it working on my Mac and my daughters laptop (Vista), but," he says, "my wifes laptop wouldn't work at all. So we went to the Apple store and bought a new one. But my wife's laptop STILL doesn't work".

Umm..

"Is her laptop running XP?" I ask.

"Yeah, it is, It connects, then just disconnects again really quickly all the time.." He says..

"and you applied the WPA2 patch on it, right? Or SP3? That's got it too." I asked..

"what's that then?"

WHY on earth would you replace the router dummy? Doesn't anyone use an ounce of logic any more? If your Mac and the Vista laptop work on it, it's the XP laptop that has the issue. Good lord, am I gald I QC every piece of work HE does.

Gah. Honestly.. I hope he kept the reciept. Oh and shame on the "Genius" who told him he needed a new router.

anyway.. had to get that off my chest. I feel better for venting. Thanks for reading this far. Have a great weekend.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 56
Hehe I guess he thought that since its using windows xp, it should automagically connect to the router too
smily_headphones1.gif

popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 56
It is an interesting question. My take on it is that people these days have more money available to them to allow them to jump to conclusions about the cause of problems and how they should fix them.

A quick example. My brother in-law called me up to tell me that his ADSL modem was broken and could I come over and have a look. When I arrived, he had his old ADSL modem and a new one that he had just bought; neither worked. He was cursing that the old one was busted and the new one was a dud. After doing a bit of troubleshooting I determined that the ADSL modem wasn't able to connect to the internet provider. I contacted the provider. The provider then told me that they had made a change to their DNS but it was all working OK. Long story short, they had made a to their DNS settings that meant their old customers (previous domain name) were unable to connect.

The point of the story is that my brother in law had jumped to a conclusion with very little knowledge and then spent $150 on a new ADSL modem that he didn't need. The same as the protagonist in the OP's story. If he was unable to afford the new modem, he would have called me immediately and we would have worked through the problem.

I did a few hours of troubleshooting for him and his provider, and got a $150 ADSL modem out of the deal.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 56
Because our educational system and our society doesn't teach and/or value logic or deductive reasoning anymore? Instead, it's all about how you "feel," or "what's right for you."
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 56
** Shakes head **
Every logical person would go online and search for issues related to XP and WPA2..

Master-of-the-obvious.jpg

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
** Shakes head **
Every logical person would go online and search for issues related to XP and WPA2..

Master-of-the-obvious.jpg

I guess the obvious isn't obvious to everyone.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is that most people just aren't that proficient at tech and patient enough to try sorting IT problems out properly.

they just don't try.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 56
I see a lack of common sense even more often. Alas I was notified in the obituaries today of this:

Quote:

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

* Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
* Why the early bird gets the worm;
* Life isn't always fair;
* Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:

* I Know My Rights
* I Want It Now
* Someone Else Is To Blame
* I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on.. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 56
How the hell does this post have to do with logic? People do tons of dumb **** everyday, and there aren't posts for it.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How the hell does this post have to do with logic? People do tons of dumb **** everyday, and there aren't posts for it.

A lot of logical people would probably think that some head-fiers are completely ****** for spending over >USD300 for a pair of IEMs.
eek.gif

One man's logic is another man's illogic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back