Why don't headphone companies advertise?
Dec 15, 2005 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, it's depressing to watch Bose win the game by default, because nobody else is even playing (just saw another Bose ad on VH-1 Classic).

So, Sennheiser, are your headphones better than Bose?

*Crickets chirping*

Grado, do you offer good products?

* Sound of birds chirping on telephone wires*

What about it, Beyer? AKG? Koss? Is anybody home?

Why do you think the average consumer is happy with their iPod earbuds? Because they don't know anything else is even out there, for the most part.

I just don't get it.
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 22
I really don't understand it either, but people who are in the industry can't complain about what the general public uses for headphones if you aren't willing to bring your product to them. If more companies advertised, I would bet you would see a big decrease in the iBuds or Bose headphones you see when you walk around.
I have seen some advertisements for headphones, though, I have seen Shure and Ety ads and I think I saw a Koss ad somewhere...
Koss doesn't really need to advertise because thier headphones are sold in more accessable stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and the mall. If more companies starting trying to get their products stocked there, they would eventually just start to sell themselves from the shelf exposure and people just picking them up off the shelves because they look cool. WHen they realize how good they really are, their friends will hear about it, then their freinds friends will hear about it, and the headphones will eventually just sell themselves.
I dont really get it..... Why not advertise?

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Probably wouldn't sell too much anyways, or maybe just the sub $100 models.

Not like speakers are advertised on tv either.

If they advertised it right, it would sell fine. People are willing to pay $150 for Bose Triports, if you advertise, say, Grados or Sennheisers as better than Triports for half the price, or 2 times better than Triports for the same price, people will buy it, as long as you make it easily available and looks good. You dont have to advertise it on TV, I have never seen a Bose commercial on TV. Magazines and the like would be fine.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 22
sennheiser is definitely starting to get word of mouth. Iv'e seen them in a number of commercials (hd497 or alike) and lots of people have heard of them. If you bring up quality headphones in a conversation you often hear people talking about "seenhoiser" or "sennheishter".

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
If they advertised it right, it would sell fine. People are willing to pay $150 for Bose Triports, if you advertise, say, Grados or Sennheisers as better than Triports for half the price, or 2 times better than Triports for the same price, people will buy it, as long as you make it easily available and looks good. You dont have to advertise it on TV, I have never seen a Bose commercial on TV. Magazines and the like would be fine.

Well for that, they need to take notes from apple.

Edit: There are bose commercials on tv btw..

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Edit: There are bose commercials on tv btw..

Really? What do they say? I've never seen one.....

Just a thought, but maybe it is because they can't put out enough headphones or make enough money to advertise effectively? I doubt it though.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 22
I assume the cost of advertising in TV or mainstream magazines is too much for most headphone companies (and other high-end audio companies) to bear. Most headphone companies probably can ill-afford to take such risk on something with very uncertain return.

So most headphone/audio companies end up advertizing on industry magazines (e.g., The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, etc.) where they can afford it. Of course, this, unfortunately, doesn't really expand the customer base.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Really? What do they say? I've never seen one.....

Just a thought, but maybe it is because they can't put out enough headphones or make enough money to advertise effectively? I doubt it though.

QC2. Some guy on a plane and crap. The Wave system commercial is easier to find though.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

QC2. Some guy on a plane and crap. The Wave system commercial is easier to find though.

I saw a wave informercial yesterday... blech. I must admit, the sound that comes out of a radio that size is cool, but I think tivoli has it beat, and is half the price.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Koss doesn't really need to advertise because thier headphones are sold in more accessable stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and the mall. If more companies starting trying to get their products stocked there, they would eventually just start to sell themselves from the shelf exposure and people just picking them up off the shelves because they look cool.

Contradictions bolded
wink.gif

Really, though, they could advertise, just not much (mainstream TV is likely too expensive). Something like Popular Science or Popular Mechanics would probably get to enough people interested, though.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 22
I was just thinking about his a few days ago when I was in an Apple store and I saw the Bose TriPort headphones in there. I figured people would buy other brands if they knew about them and that they're good/worth the loot.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Why Don't heaphone companies advertise ?

Same reason you don't see ultra high end gear advertised

1-headphone gear niche market with a limited audience
2-the average consumer has no clue and does not care about quality and would be entirely happy with MP3's at 128k as their source

Those who do care enough about the quality of music know where to look so the adverts are where they do the most actual good-high end audio magazines.

Do any here really think the average human loses sleep wondering what headphones a person on a TV program or in a movie or on an album cover is wearing like some here do ? That the first thing the average consumer does when they buy a portable player or new computer is upgrade the cans ? That they think the ones who do are the crazy ones who need to get a grip on reality ?
Even after demoing good sound for folks I notice the typical response is "damn that sounds good !" then they go back to their crap systems and crap headphones and crap speakers and never skip a beat.

Not everyone cares and even some that do not enough to do anything about it unless it is cheap and easy to make a change.
XM Radio,iPOD or cell phone as main source,low bitrate MP3,Surround Sound In-A-Box,Cheesy little plastic Multimedia Speakers as "system Central"......welcome to the real world

Users who are viewing this thread

Back