Why Dont Airplanes Have Standard Stereo Headphone Jacks?
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 23
  Hey guys, hot tip:

Bring a volume controller.

This is the Westone one that I use.

Set the aeroplane headset amp to full, then limit your volume using this little guy. Only a few bucks, and you'll have perfect impedance matching. No more hiss! More accurate volume control.

I never fly without one.

Yup. I've used a shure one before. UE also has one too. It works like a charm.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 23
  Hey guys, hot tip:

Bring a volume controller.

This is the Westone one that I use.

Set the aeroplane headset amp to full, then limit your volume using this little guy. Only a few bucks, and you'll have perfect impedance matching. No more hiss! More accurate volume control.

I never fly without one.

Does that attenuate the volume, like the UE one (which came with the TF10)? 
I ask because I hate when announcements get made over the in-flight entertainment system, and then it blows my ears out.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #19 of 23
Yup. You can hear the announcements coming, as well (that distinct "mute" and "buzz" of when they are about to announce something) and instantly turn the volume down with a flick of your thumb, instead of wrestling with the in-built flight volume controls.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #20 of 23
Oh. Hm. That's not quite what I was hoping for; I borrowed my friend's UE flight adaptor and it seemed to normalise the volume of the movies AND the announcements. 
So, there was no need to adjust the volume when announcements came in.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #21 of 23
i had a bad experience plugging in expensive iem to the airline in seat entertainment. headphone im not worried. but not iem for sure. i had tf10 fried because i plug it into the in seat entertainment using adapter. ever since that i uses the supplied headphone if i wanted to watch the inflight entertainment

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #22 of 23
  Oh. Hm. That's not quite what I was hoping for; I borrowed my friend's UE flight adaptor and it seemed to normalise the volume of the movies AND the announcements. 
So, there was no need to adjust the volume when announcements came in.

It did also seem to do this - perhaps the cabin announcements are made at "MAX" volume, so if your in-flight handset is already at "MAX" as well, then you will hear both the announcements and the programs at the same level.

If that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back