why doesn't velour make you sweat?
Feb 20, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, i was just thinking that as I read the thread title. no pleather for my D77s!!
evil_smiley.gif

So what do you have on your D77s, Camille? Ostrich?
blink.gif
icon10.gif
(I spent no small bucks to get original relacement pleather earpads for my D77s. On those cans, I think that they're fine.)

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #17 of 28
Am I the only one that prefers pleather? Pleather on my K271S is fantastic.. I love it. I must be weirdo.. I like velour but pleather is more comfy for me..

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that prefers pleather? Pleather on my K271S is fantastic.. I love it. I must be weirdo.. I like velour but pleather is more comfy for me..

That's because you haven't tried velour pads with them.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone has said this yet. But velour allows your skin to breathe and stay cool. Pleather, on the other hand, doesn't let any air through.

I think it was rock salt.

-ATOT

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 28
The pleather on the Audio Technica's isn't that bad and didn't make me sweat. When you start to get hot just take them off for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 28
IME I have the DT770 and A700 and don't have a problem with either pleather or velour pads. Both pads are equally as comfortable to me as I don't sweat a lot or easily. Not everyone sweats a lot or live in extremely warm climates that will cause them to have some sort of discomfort with pleather pads. If you sweat a lot or your ear become really warm while wearing closed cans, then you may have a problem with pleather pads. If not, then you should be fine with pleather pads.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #22 of 28
I see that pleather/leather is used on Audio Technicas which are closed cans, so I presume the properties of pleather create a kind of seal, helping to create the intended sound properties.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #23 of 28
Not sure if the properties between the pleather and leather pads plays a role in the intended sonic signatures of the various AT cans. What I can tell you is that they both seal quite well and offer a different level of comfort between the two.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 28
I meant in general not necessarily sound signatures. I know that my SA5000 sounds different when I break the seal i.e lift the pads millimetres from my skin and I would guess that they sound different if the pads were velour instead of leather. I could be talking absolute bull however
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 28
If you tend to sweat a lot then pleather would be easier to keep clean !
tongue.gif

I have had problems with pleather so prefer the velour but I’m very concerned with keeping my nice new Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE's clean
eek.gif

Maybe there is an opportunity for someone to produce an aftermarket cover or sock to go over headphone earpads that could be taken off and washed !
cool.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 28
I wonder if perforating the pleather would help any, like perforating leather car seats supposedly does. Then again, leather breathes a little anyway (though not nearly as much as velour), so maybe it would just be a waste of effort.

The pleather's flaking off my super-old Sony's, and my ears don't get very warm with them on. 'Course, I look like I have black dandruff after I wear them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant in general not necessarily sound signatures. I know that my SA5000 sounds different when I break the seal i.e lift the pads millimetres from my skin and I would guess that they sound different if the pads were velour instead of leather. I could be talking absolute bull however
tongue.gif

no, you're right on the money there. my k81dj with pleather? all that bass was sealed in - better isolation, but BAAASSS. with the HD25 velour replacement pads, the k81dj was far more manageable in the bass, but less isolation - it's a tradeoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back