why does wav lossless "suck"? is 320kb mp3 better?
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

graphis_7

100+ Head-Fier
from reading a ipod shuffle post i see that someone comments that wav loseless suck, is that true or what> considering it is "loseless", how does it compare to md sp or 320kb mp3's?

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 18
The only way a WAV file would suck compared to an MP3 file is in terms of file size. Some people may feel that given the space they take up, the sound quality of WAV files over MP3 files may not be great enough to justify the extra storage space.

Also, since there are several lossless formats to choose from for various platforms, the usage of WAV files is generally unwarranted.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
The only way a WAV file would suck compared to an MP3 file is in terms of file size. Some people may feel that given the space they take up, the sound quality of WAV files over MP3 files may not be great enough to justify the extra storage space.

Also, since there are several lossless formats to choose from for various platforms, the usage of WAV files is generally unwarranted.

Yep, if I were using a shuffle, the file size of wav wouldn't work for me either.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 18
Wav is too big. So are most lossless formats for portable use (actually make that all.) On the go, mp3 are more than good enough. Especially with background noise and such. Unless you want to toss your home rig in a backpack with a power generater :wink:

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
It's worth noting that the iPod shuffle doesn't support lossless files of any type. No wav, aiff, Apple Lossless, or FLAC.

It actually does support wav, just not aiff or apple lossless. No ipods support flac without rockbox.

Heres what the suffle does support:MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 18
A WAV can't possibly be worse than a 320K mp3. The mp3 is a compressed WAV.

The Size/Quality ratio is a bit big for some people, but this is only really a portable concern. If you're using a soundcard with a big HDD, you should use lossless files. WAV is not a lossless file, its not encoded.

There are lots to choose from FLAC, ALAC, Monkeys Audio, WAVpack, WMA Lossless...These equal WAVs but use much more efficient algorithms, so are smaller but identical in data-terms.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 18
WAV sucks in the sense that one CD is 250mb and it has no tags. It sounds the same as all other lossless.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
WAV sucks in the sense that one CD is 250mb and it has no tags. It sounds the same as all other lossless.

One CD can be up to 700 MB.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 18
Wav sucks because the file size is so large and there are no tags like others have said. So you can't even fit 1 CD on a 512 meg Shuffle. That is why wav sucks!!! Yes 320 is better, but alt-preset-standard VBR is even better as far as quality versus file size.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
One CD can be up to 700 MB.

Oh. That might be the case. I'm just going off my memory of converting mp3s of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here into a single WAV file. Anyway, the point is the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 18
In a portable sense it is not all that good, but then all lossless codecs are no good. I like using wav to back up my music on my big HDD. No better quality then the raw untouched file, so it's good for a backup. Oh, and you really shouldn't need tags if you organize your files well. Just use /Artist/Album/0XX(track number)-tracktitle-whatever else you want.whatever format you use. All of the DAPs I used never supported tagged files anyway
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
It actually does support wav, just not aiff or apple lossless. No ipods support flac without rockbox.

Heres what the suffle does support:MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV

I stand corrected. It has been stuck in my pipe, and it has been smoked.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 18
My PCDP lasts about 20 hours on 2AA when playing a normal CD, but I get about 30 hours when listening to an MP3 cd, but SQ wise it's worse. Nothing beats CD audio quality.

I once emailed an MP3 shop whether PCDP are worse/better compared to any MP3, and they told me MP3 blows PCDP, because this latter one plays audio at 128kB/sec. Funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back