Why does Time Warner Suck So Much?
Jun 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Today I pick up the phone (digital phone Time Warner) to find no ringtone.  Of all days, today would be the worst to be without a landline because I had important calls to make to IRS and my bank.  My cell phone is unreliable and cuts off mid-call in my house due to location.  

After getting the usual runaround through Time Warner maze of pre-recorded phone-tag, I am told by the machine that my home phone number I entered is "invalid" and the system cannot help.  I had to make another call after a few minutes after finding the last bill for the account number.  This time, I am greeted with apparently a new message that says "If you are calling about no ringtone or busy signal on your Time Warner digital phone, do not worry as we are working on it."   Do not worry?  I have NO phone service, even for emergency!

I have huge regrets for signing the contract for Time Warner's triple service, as it has been nothing but trouble.  The internet, phone, and cable all have had intermittent and ongoing problems ever since, some or all of them just going off service unexpectedly intermittently.  There are channels of cable that simply freeze and drop out from time to time, presumably due to weak/borderline digital signal.  I have spent hours on the phone with the "support" over many internet and/or Time Warner modem problems and had serviceman at my house several times (which was very difficult to even request!).  

There is no competition for cable company in my neighborhood and FIOS is not available yet.  Satellite doesn't truly have 3-in-one service, as they parcel out things like phone to another company, and I hate the site of dishes on houses.  

As my contract with Time Warner will end this year (with huge price hike after intro price goes away), what are the options?

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 3
Contact the public utility commission. File a formal written complaint. Do not make phone calls, mail the complaint in. Keep copies.

Next contact your state senator and representative. Again, make formal, written complaints. Don't call it in.

You won't get instant relief, but this is the right way to go about it.

If you really want to take a swing at Time Warner, small claims them for this month's bill. Lawsuits are a terrific way to get attention. They will be forwarded to their legal department. One of their lawyers will get it and then be supremely irritated at having to deal with a minor matter like this. The lawyer will find the person responsible for your area and proceed to grab him/her by the throat. Further, that person's manager will be deeply unhappy about the costs incurred because legal got involved. They will be even angrier if they get a letter from the PUC or a state representative, too.

This will work out in your favor. They'll probably give you a month or a few of free service to make you go away. Be a total male reproductive organ here. Demand a year of free service to drop the lawsuit and keep it from going to a small claims. They will have to spend a few thousand to send someone out, so giving you free service will be cheaper. Make sure you keep it all in writing.

So do this. Don't just call customer sevice; they don't care. Lawsuits and angry regulators are much, much more likely to get immediate attention.

Do not feel sorry for them, either. Start throwing bombs (metaphorically, of course) and they'll scramble to make you happy. The point is to cost them a lot of money from regulators and legal. The bottom line is the only thing they care about. Threaten that and they'll be surprisingly responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back