Why does the band 'Rush' make me hate my other music?
May 18, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I play a 'Rush' album or song, I find it impossible to listen to anything else afterwards without feeling dissapointed. Everything else just pales in comparison...

Why?

I can say the same thing as Porcupine Tree.

May 18, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 35
I consider Moving Pictures to be their best recorded work in terms of sound quality. Every song on that album is a classic, I love it.

I agree with the favorite band suggestion.

Their music is also more complex and technical than your average rock band, and every member is supremely talented (especially Peart). No wonder they make other bands sound mediocre.

May 18, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Why does the band 'Rush' make me hate my other music? Reply to Thread

All your other music are covers of Rush - potentially the only music even worse than original Rush?
wink.gif

I keed. I keed. There are at least a half-dozen worse bands than Rush.

http://www.hrtwrk.com/video/tomsawyer.mov

May 18, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you stop listening to the band completely? Why not just ignore that album and enjoy the others if you disliked it that much?

I didn't stop completely right away. I just slowly listened less and less. I just bought 2112 a couple of weeks ago when I saw it cheap. All I can say is it sounds dated to me. Which is what I think of quite a bit of 70s prog rock. It hasn't aged well for me. Not to say it's bad, probably more that my tastes have changed.

May 18, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't stop completely right away. I just slowly listened less and less. I just bought 2112 a couple of weeks ago when I saw it cheap. All I can say is it sounds dated to me. Which is what I think of quite a bit of 70s prog rock. It hasn't aged well for me. Not to say it's bad, probably more that my tastes have changed.

The production is dated - the remastered cd and the original cd sound horrible. But I have heard that the MFSL version is a massive improvement.

As Sovkiller said, there is so much variation. Somethings bound to interest you.

May 19, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

The production is dated - the remastered cd and the original cd sound horrible. But I have heard that the MFSL version is a massive improvement.

As Sovkiller said, there is so much variation. Somethings bound to interest you.

I probably still have them all up to Permanent Waves on LP. I'll probably give them a listen some time soon.

May 19, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #23 of 35
Am I the only one who thinks 2112 sounds great?

It's pretty much what every rock recording should be. Not compressed, decent dynamic range, no clipping, and lots of detail.

Not harsh, and not to mention the album is brilliant imho.

Edit---Ok well after a listen, it's lacking in soundstage and is definitely brighter than many of their other recordings. Sigh....Ok back to listening to rush. Camera Eye is such a great song.

May 19, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who thinks 2112 sounds great?

It's pretty much what every rock recording should be. Not compressed, decent dynamic range, no clipping, and lots of detail.

Not harsh, and not to mention the album is brilliant imho.

Edit---Ok well after a listen, it's lacking in soundstage and is definitely brighter than many of their other recordings. Sigh....Ok back to listening to rush. Camera Eye is such a great song.

Try not to let the production ruin your enjoyment. What other rush albums have you heard or you own?

On another note, the MFSL version of Permanent waves released not long ago sounds absolutely divine. I highly recommend the outlay. ($50ish)

May 19, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 35
I make it a point to not let production of any record ruin my enjoyment. Plus Rush has been my favorite band for some time.

I don't have permanent waves yet. I'll look into that for sure.

I have most of their albums

A Show of Hands
All the World's a Stage
Counterparts
Different Stages
Exit Stage Left
Fly By Night
Hold Your Fire
Moving Pictures
Retrospective I
Retrospective II
Roll The Bones
Rush
Snakes & Arrows
The Spirit of Radio
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails

May 19, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Good answer, but I think it must be something more.

No. I think that's it. They're you're favorite band.

If not, then who IS your favorite band?

May 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 35
I agree with Museman and also the 2112 mofi release is much better. The talent of rush, the wonderful songwriting and lyrics sells me on nearly every album
the talent of Geddy Lee and Neil Peart never ceases to amaze me.
Btw i listen with livewire IEMs and i love it.. Although it misses the bass impact of a stereo system needed for full rush enjoyment. =p

May 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Whenever I play a 'Rush' album or song, I find it impossible to listen to anything else afterwards without feeling dissapointed. Everything else just pales in comparison...

Why?

you're boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back