Why does S/PDIF output have a cap
Oct 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

i_love_hina

100+ Head-Fier
As shown in pic.
29-120-103-01.JPG

Just wondering because I threw mine away and wanted to know if that was bad. 8()

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 17
So if the cap is lost/taken off is there any other way to clean the jack safely? Compressed air maybe? What about fluid cleaners?

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPaul86
The cap prevents dust and other dirt from getting inside the jack.

But why only for the optical, and not for the 3.5mm jacks?

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 17
Dust covering...
wink.gif

Since dust particles can interfere with the optical light.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But why only for the optical, and not for the 3.5mm jacks?

Short answer: The 3.5mm jacks are not as sensitive as the optical jack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenhui
So if the cap is lost/taken off is there any other way to clean the jack safely? Compressed air maybe? What about fluid cleaners?

I would be very careful when you want to clean the optical jack.
Are you sure that there is really any dust or dirt in there that interfere or disturb the signal?

If anything I would puff and blow with caution at the connector and would try to talk you out of using any fluid cleaners.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Most (like on a typical DVD player, or a typical external DAC) have a little flap that flips out of the way. Apparently they couldn't fit one of that type/size on the sound card.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 17
older style toslinks have the losable cap. new style (started seeing them 5-10 yrs ago) has a hinge and no separate cap.

you can buy parts, today, in both styles. its just style.

you don't have to clean anything. I've never known a toslink to notice dust unless you have so much that you can't even breathe in your location
wink.gif

electrical connections are not optical and so dust does not matter.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 17
linuxworks how can you fit the new type hinged cap?

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 17
If you don't have the cap anymore, put some tape or something at least to cover it up when not in use. Clean it first, though, very carefully and no fluids.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 17
I've left some capless spdif ports open for years. some old equip didn't have caps and was left on on shelves or in boxes. years later, blew some compressed air (lightly) and all is fine.

its not really that critical. its not a dot-fine focus, the sensor is actually quite large and even angle alignment is not critical. all by design.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPaul86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything I would puff and blow with caution at the connector and would try to talk you out of using any fluid cleaners.

Blowing generally isn't a good way to clean any sort of electronics since there's a lot of moisture in your breath.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 17
Can try a blower used for camera lenses.

linuxworks who make Toslink modules?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back