Why does Qualcomm Note 4 sound so good or is it just me?
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

psikey

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I only use IEM's and after purchasing Shure SE846's I won't be buying any others as I find them superb and a big step-up from the SE535's I had.

So next was pursuing best smartphone to use with them and used all of bellow:

iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/6
Samsung S3/S4/S4minn/S5/S5mini/S6/Note1/Note3/Note4
HTC M8
Sony Z3/Z5/Z5c

To cut a long story short, I've always thought the Note 4 was amazing, iPhone/M8/Xperia good and S6 poor until the latest firmware which seems to have significantly boosted the audio quality from the Wolfson DAC. I'm using Note 4 with Adapt sound configuration but everything else off. Not done any rooting to try V4A  (I don't intend to).

So then onto DAC/AMP's and tried Dragonfly and HA-2 which all went back, then I tried the Chord Mojo which like the SE846's experience was a quantum step up for me when listening to Hi-Res/DSD.

I mostly listen to Chord Mojo now when indoors but still prefer just a phone when out and about.

No matter how many times a do back to back listening between iPhone6/Note 4/S6/Z5c I still come back to the Note 4 having the best headphone out with the SE846's and nearly as good as the Mojo with Tidal/Spotify.

I always read that Qualcomm was crap and phones like the M8, Xperia and some other Samsung's have Qualcomm but none sound as good as Note 4 to my ears (Mojo is amazing with Hi-Res/DSD).

So, is it just me or do others find the Qualcomm Note 4 superb with low impedance IEM's  ??  Even though I have access to newer phones such as iPhone 6S/S6/Z5 I'm still tending to stick with the Note 4 even though I'd prefer to use a smaller phone, but in addition to having excellent headphone out/DAC audio its also got excellent battery life, removable battery, great camera, memory expansion, awesome screen, still quick.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 2
Oh, I also had Sony ZX2 for a short while which a did find better than the Note 4 output but not as good as Mojo output so the ZX2 went back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back