Why does my vintage receiver sound so good?
Jul 2, 2005 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a vintage Pioneer SX-450 receiver from 1976, and just out of complete curiosity, I plugged my AKG K271S headphones into it...

WOW!

How come my headphones sound so much better out of this unit than they do out of my Perreaux SXH-1 headphone amplifier?

The sound was so much more lively. It seemed to demonstrate the sound with so much more clarity - and this went both ways - the condition of my vinyl was revealed, ALONG with a much more clean and natural sound. My Perreaux sounds very recessed and muffled in comparison.

Why is this? Am I just imagining "loudness" as good sound, or is my receiver really that high quality? It sounds more like I am there, at the concert - it just sounds more realistic. Not a perfect sound by any means, but so much more intimate!

Now if the damned right channel didn't keep dropping out every 8 minutes... we'd be in business! As a side note, does anybody know what I can do to fix this? Some contact cleaner perhaps?

Thanks guys - all comments are welcome.

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Comes back to that amp-can synergy thing... and finding the right combination for your particular cans and listening taste.

Maybe theres an intermittent solder joint? Just use flux and a little solder to re-touch the solder joints and get the contacts to to re-flow.

Nice find!!

Garrett

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Amplifier design is nothing new. I have an old Fisher tube amp from the 60's that has great sound. A little bit exaggerated in the bass and "tubey" but fun to listen to on occasion.

There are 2 easy things I would try to fix your channel drop out problem. First is the problem with headphones only or speakers as well? If it is just headphones the fix could be very simple. If you remove the cover to the headphone jack you will see an arm that makes contact with the headphone plug when you insert it. Often times there is not enough spring force to make good contact. Bend the arm a little and your problem may be solved.

Second thing to try is to get contact cleaner and clean all the switches. Be sure to mechanically operate them while spraying (no power). Let them dry and give it a try.

Beyond this you most likely have a bad solder joint, loose connection or a cracked trace if it has PC boards.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Aman,
Not to my surprise. I've read many people stating that their old Marantz tube/integrate amp sound great and ,in many case,better than the Maxed Out Pimeta amp.

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 8
a marantz fed out of a good source sounds so money. theyre great on saturday afternoons fed by a microdac i hear
eek.gif

rj

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Well I appreciate the comments and the advice! I will open up the receiver later in the week to see if the headphone jack may just not have enough "spring action" as you put it on the arm. If so, then I'll be saying bye-bye to my Perreaux amp
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Well I appreciate the comments and the advice! I will open up the receiver later in the week to see if the headphone jack may just not have enough "spring action" as you put it on the arm. If so, then I'll be saying bye-bye to my Perreaux amp
tongue.gif

I bought an MG Head Mark III but when I compared it with old (late 70's/early 80s) vintage Luxman integrated, I thought the Lux sounded a lot better. Better range & extension in both the highs and lows, better speed and attack, overall much more realism. So I sold the MG Head and I just use the Luxman when I need to use headphones. It's got slightly exagerrated bass on headphones but still sounds great. It gives the Senns a very hallow and natural sound, with plenty of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back