Why does my TEAC receiver sound so damn good with my 650's?
Apr 30, 2005 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stephan

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Senn HD650's, and the headphone output on my 10 year old $200 TEAC receiver power's these things so cleanly I cannot believe it. I have a portable headphone amp that doesn't even touch it and far as power and sound quality goes. Does anyone know anything about the headphone output on TEAC receiver's and why they sound so much better than the average receiver output?

Apr 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan
I have a pair of Senn HD650's, and the headphone output on my 10 year old $200 TEAC receiver power's these things so cleanly I cannot believe it. I have a portable headphone amp that doesn't even touch it and far as power and sound quality goes. Does anyone know anything about the headphone output on TEAC receiver's and why they sound so much better than the average receiver output?

1) Some old receivers do sound very good - I have an old Marantz that is pretty good as a headamp.

2) TEAC specifically - dont know

3) If you are happy with it - dont hang around here or we will persuade you that you are fooling yourself and to part with a grand or two for something 5% better. Run, run fast and do not look back
biggrin.gif

4) Too Late - the PA2 is a good little amp but something like a Headsave Classic or a Pimeta will stomp your receiver into little pieces

May 1, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan
I have the PA2, and my receiver blows that away. But who am I kidding, I will be dropping some serious coin on a real amp to get that 5% better sound in no time.

yes and after that theres the source, DAC, cables, etc...
wink.gif

May 2, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Some receivers and integrated amp's headphone output come directly from the poweramp section of the amp, sometimes padded down with a resistor to lower the output. - Plently of current and power flow.

Other amps, especially the small portable amps use a cheap and small OP amp.

May 2, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 6
****Wallet Warning****

I thought my NAD T741 surround sound amp had a great headphone amp. In fact, to my ears, it was superior to the Perreaux SXH1 and Music Cans amps I auditioned (I even bought and returned the SXH1 - good as it was at treble it didn't have that bass power). The amount of power for bass was fantastic from the NAD receiver... but then I heard a particularly "good" headphone amp and was aware that I was missing upper treble and bass control. You know what bass control is when you hear it (etymotics have it in spades but without the slam you need as well in my opinion - I can live without the slam but I need the control).

I do think receivers give lots of current and for current heavy cans like the ms-pros the receiver does a fantastic job.

BUT... listen to a really good headphone amp and beware, your wallet will suffer.... now you know you are doomed!

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back