Why does my ATH A-900 have no bass?
Sep 14, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oic929

100+ Head-Fier
I have just bought a 2nd hand a-900. From the reviews I read, the highs and bass seem to be strong points of the phones. I can definetly hear the highs in mine are much better compared to my SR-60's, but I can hardly hear any bass! In fact, they are so overly bright that they ruin the vocals, making them sound unnatural. The only thing diffrent with this pair is that the leatherette pads have been removed, but that shouldnt have such a big effect right? So, is it normal for the sr-60's to outperform it?

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oic929 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just bought a 2nd hand a-900. From the reviews I read, the highs and bass seem to be strong points of the phones. I can definetly hear the highs in mine are much better compared to my SR-60's, but I can hardly hear any bass! In fact, they are so overly bright that they ruin the vocals, making them sound unnatural. The only thing diffrent with this pair is that the leatherette pads have been removed, but that shouldnt have such a big effect right? So, is it normal for the sr-60's to outperform it?

What pads do you have instead?
Of course, the pads are essential for bass response.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 8
If you were expecting deep or sub woofer like bass out of the A900s you'll be disappointed. The A900s do have bass, but it isn't the type of bass were it extends deep like that of the DT770. The bass out of the A900s is tight and doesn't really go that deep, but deep enough to make them balanced with the rest of it's sound signature IMO. I do agree that the A900 is a foward sounding set of cans and can come off sound bright with certain generes of music and or recordings.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aye, what pads do you have instead OP ?! The seal of the headphone is pretty much everything for bass.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Did the previous owner do any mods? I bought a used pair that had the blu-tak mod done to it. When comparing to stock HD-595s the A900s had less bass.

The good thing is that if the mod has not been done or was done in such a way that it actually makes the bass more anemic, you can change it. After re-doing the blu-tak mod myself, the bass strengthened (you might have to play with it a bit to get it just where you want it so that its not loose and overbearing or anemic).

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aye, what pads do you have instead OP ?! The seal of the headphone is pretty much everything for bass.

In Closed cans. The bass in my 650s would be just as strong with no pads.

I find the trend of saying the A900s are very bassy is a falsehood. 595s have as much IMO.

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are the standard ones but with the leather removed. I have just noticed I get good bass response if I push them really close to my ear, or else they sound like grados when you cover the back with your hands.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Closed cans generate most bass inherently. A lot by sound reflection, which obviously means needing a good seal...

Open cans, like the 650s generate bass by having bassy drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back