Why does JVC make so many good earbuds and headphones?
Mar 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'm a fan as well. I've owned quite a few JVC products and most of them offer at least competitive bang/buck.
Hits (from what I've owned):
HA-FX33/34 Marshmallows
HA-FX66 AirCushions
HA-FXC50 MicroHD
HP-NX55
HA-S150 Flats
HA-S700
HA-M750 Black Series
HA-RX700
HA-DX1
HA-DX3

Misses (from what I've owned)
HA-FX300 BiMetals
HA-G55
HA-RX900

You found the RX900 a miss? From what I read, they're really similar to the 700s, what's so different that makes them a miss? Same driver, or very similar at least, isn't it?

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, a little more bass is all I could really ask of the JVC Flats for their street price.

The flats have enough bass. Thats the problem. You can do a lot better for $20. The panasonic rp-htx7 are 10 dollars more and sound like they are $60 more. Don't get me wrong i love my flats, but just not as much. Did i say how much of a great value Rp-HTX7 is? Get on it. Thats the problem with the whole JVC line imo. Decent for the price, but if you shop online you can find better. Sans the fx500.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by headspiv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
microhd! That was the one i was getting at. How do you feel about them? What are some of the better JVC's you've owned?

The microHD sound very, very good. However, I am always hesitant to recommend them because I went through two RMAs before getting a working one. QC seems to be a common issue with those micro drivers. That aside, they are bright, punchy, and very detailed.

My favorite bang/buck JVCs are:
HA-FXC50 (build issues aside)
HA-S150 (recently replaced by the Coby CV-185 as my favorite <$20 portable)
HA-M750 Black Series (extremely competent all-around monitors with bass boost)
HA-RX700 (easily worth the money stock, better modded)
HA-DX1 (hugely underrated ~$70 can likely due to two different-sounding versions produced)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You found the RX900 a miss? From what I read, they're really similar to the 700s, what's so different that makes them a miss? Same driver, or very similar at least, isn't it?

Well, I think the RX700 is less boomy and more balanced. Combine that with the fact that the RX700 is cheaper and the RX900 is a miss. Plus it's getting dangerously close to the price of a DX1, which blows both the RXs away.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, those are somewhat the opposite the impressions I read of people round the forums. Their positioning is rather poor for gaming, fps gaming at least, and I much prefer them to stock KSC75s and Portapros, even if i prefer the KSC75 sound signature. But as always ymmv :p

Everything's backwards in Alabama
biggrin.gif
. Seriously though, they just sound weird to me. Once I've listened to them for 10 minutes or so, I like them better, but I'm just not as impressed with them as I am the KSC75s and Portapros. I think I got bit by the FOTM bug when I bought them, but I certainly don't regret buying them. I should give them more listening time, but I don't.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The flats have enough bass. Thats the problem. You can do a lot better for $20. The panasonic rp-htx7 are 10 dollars more and sound like they are $60 more. Don't get me wrong i love my flats, but just not as much. Did i say how much of a great value Rp-HTX7 is? Get on it. Thats the problem with the whole JVC line imo. Decent for the price, but if you shop online you can find better. Sans the fx500.

Wait, wait... You mean to tell me that you believe that not only do the Flats have enough bass but they have so much that it's problematic?

Am I reading you correctly there? Because, if so... well let's just say that our opinions couldn't be more diametrically opposed. Maybe I'm a bass head and don't even know it but I don't think so. My favorite speakers are Joseph Audio RM55's precisely because of their wonderfully delicate and detailed bass/midbass.

I am actually modding my second pair of Flats specifically for punchier, more extended bass and I am liking the results so far.

Oh well, no accounting for taste.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #23 of 25
Hmm...I'm a fan of JVC. I've owned the FX33 Marshmallow, the FX66 Air Cushion, the RX700 (twice, still have one), the RX900, and the DX3. I'm fond of the sound signature. It works for me.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 25
I've had the marshmallows, flats, and the micro HD FXC50. enjoyed them all, but I havent found anything under $50 that sounds better than the HD's. They are the most detailed phones I've heard, that still give out good bass. The mids are slightly recessed, but It seems like they have opened up since I started listening to these a few months ago. I am really surprised these haven't gotten more play on Head FI.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is gathered from what I've read(150+ pages of RX appreciation threads), but the main thing is that for music, the RX700 is better. So there's no point in getting the 50% more expensive RX900, which has a comparatively muddy and boomy sound, with less resolution in the highs. The 900s do win out for movies and games though, because of the better soundstage and bigger bass. Yea, it's the same driver, but simply being open backed seems to negatively impact the sound for music alot. I remember someone with a 700 trying to make them open backed, and he really disliked the sound. Dynamics are quite affected by their housing.

Imo, the 700s present the "right" way of having a smooth, warm signature. No sibilance or harsh highs at all, yet all the detail is still there, just not upfront. They are my second favorite phones, after my HJE900 which I prefer because it makes all the part of the drumset sound great, and has more sparkle at the top. More balanced, which only a slight bump in the midbass and a bit of a spike somewhere uptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back