Why does Internet Explorer freez ???
Jan 26, 2002 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
I thought I might as well ask you first...

A couple of days ago IE started to freez for a couple of seconds when surfing any site. Just a little bit, but it was very annoing... Now, it seems like IE has slowly clogged up to the point where it will freeze and stick that way if I open it.

Oddly I don't get that problem if I click the computer item on the desktop and type a web-adress in the field similiar looking to that of IE. I could live with this for a while if it wasn't because everytime I click a pop-up link - like the links you can make here at head-fi - everything freezes again...
rolleyes.gif

Looking at these symptoms, what could be my problem?

Solution to my problem???

thanks in advance,

Kristian
(I hate microsoft)
mad.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 37
I second the re-install IE suggestion. Do try clearing the history and cache, and rebooting first, though.

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 37
First, open up control panel. Then open up Internet Options. Under History, click the "Clear History" button and hit "Yes". Under Temporary Internet files, click the "Delete Files" button and check "Delete all offline content" and click ok.

Now if you don't have any sites you have the password saved to(and don't remember the login), go ahead and delete all your cookies in the Temporary Internet Files folder.
To do this, click on Start/Run, type in C:\windows\Temporary Internet FIles, once the window pops up, hit CTRL+A on your keyboard, then hit the DEL key.

Open up autoexec.bat in your C:\ drive (right click on it, select edit), add these two lines to it:

@DelTree /Y C:\WINDOWS\Temp
@MD C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Save, reboot.

If it still locks up, make sure you have no suspicious plug-ins running by looking down in the task menu or system tray or ctrl+alt+del and see if you have any unrecognizable programs running in the background. Close any "potential freeze programs". If this doesn't fix the issue, re-install Internet Explorer 5.5 128bit encryption using bare minimum install.

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 37
Content of Autoexec.bat:

---------------------------------------

@ECHO OFF
rem
rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
rem
rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
rem
C:\ESSAUDIO.COM

---------------------------------------

- What the ...??

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 37
Hrm, I thought I made the instructions simple...

Ok, click your pointer (mouse cursor thingy) at the very bottom of the page (after or below the horizontal line of --------------------)
, then copy(highlight, CTRL+C) and paste(click, CTRL+V) this into it:

@DelTree /Y C:\WINDOWS\Temp
@MD C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Now click on File (top left menu), and select Save. Close the file by hitting ALT+F4 on your keyboard. Now reboot by clicking on the start button, select "shut down", check(click on little circle to the left of the text that says) "Restart", and hit ENTER on your keyboard.

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 37
Audio,

Your walk-through instructions proved most usefull.

I opened the file you told me and it said that the file I was looking for had been repositioned.

I was a bit confused so instead of ignoring the ****DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE***-tag, I decided to doublecheck with you.

And then you mock me in a very hostile way. What is wrong with you?
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 37
Glad I could help.

Sorry about that, it was not my intent to mock you, misunderstanding, I thought you were stalling(didn't get what I was trying to tell you as in perhaps you wanted better instructions) instead of going through with it.

BTW, has anyone tried the new version of Opera? Does the pop-up killer work? Overall thoughts? Etc. (*hint, review, hehe)

Jan 27, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 37

In windows 95, typing "winconfig" in the "run" option in the start menu would bring up a menu allowing me to select which background programs windows would run at startup, among other things. How can I do this in win98se? the "winconfig" command doesn't work.

Jan 27, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 37
Flasken,

I had the same problem you are having with Internet Explorer. The problem was spyware that got installed when I installed the Kazaa file sharing program and other programs. I actually had several spyware programs running.

Use msconfig and remove the spyware programs. This site has a list that will help you find out which programs are spyware: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select Getting rid of the spyware and other programs really sped everything up on my computer, not just Internet Explorer.

Jan 27, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 37
Internet Explorer has been freezing on me as well, for about 2 weeks now. I'm using Windows 98 se and this afternoon I went to MicroSoft's site and did a critical update, and now, at the moment at least, it's working fine.

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you re-install Internet Explorer or Outlook Express? Any time I've put my Windows disc in, it winds up taking off on it's own and attempting to do a full install.

When you do an install, do you have to un-install first?

If I messed with the mentioned two files, would I lose my existing settings, favourites, saved e-mail etc. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back