why does everything sound better at 102% pitch on a clip+
Sep 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

skree

Head-Fier
Is it me?

Everything seems to sound.. better.. can't really define it other than everything sounds.. more like what i'm used to..

Seems to be a higher number than the oft-mentioned clip+ slow pitch thing

This is admittedly the best portable source i've ever had, my only dap since the early 128mb usb stick style creative muvo. In between, i've largely used 'music' phones. I've tested it on Sony MDR-EX50 IEMs, Sennheiser MX-880 and some dampened JVC HAS-160s.. best i've got (for now :D )

always preferred bright, fun sounding gear. Maybe i'm compensating for the clip being more neutral than i am used to? I need to work this out, it will annoy me without end.

I've not tested it side by side against my static rig yet, which i now realise i should have lol it's not a bad system and i'm very familiar with it

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Is pitch control the one that controls how fast the music goes? If that's the case then you're basically listening to it being played back faster (like, increase the pitch to 125%, then use a stopwatch), which makes for basically a simulated improvement in PRAT. If you had a system where the amp (of any kind) has absolutely no trouble driving a headphone or speaker it will have the same run time as a stopwatch but still seems like it's "faster" due to an actually better PRAT performance.

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 3
:D Yes, i'm calling the speed control 'pitch' as it's what rockbox calls it.

Just read up a bit on PRaT. That makes a lot of sense particularly when i say that i've always preferred lively, fun gear

Just checking i wasn't doing something 'wrong'.  On balance, i think i'll leave it because i either can't tell the difference, or it sounds better to my ears, depending on track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back