Why does 24/96 Flac from DVD and Vinyl sound terrible on my setup?
Jun 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JwangSDC

100+ Head-Fier
My setup is Foobar -> Waspi ->Ayre QB-9 etc. The QB-9 can't output in 16bits, it only outputs in 24 bits and I can change the frequency in Vista but I usually just leave it at 96.

Now here's my question; all my perfectly ripped FLAC files from vinyl and DVD audio are 24/96 but they sound terrible. They almost sound static-ey with some extra noise mixed in. Does this make any sense? Are they being double upsampled or something? In fact, 320kbps mp3s seem to sound better.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 6
So you have 24-bit selected in the foobar output preferences, than maybe your buffer length is too long or too short? Which OS (just curious, not for debug purposes)?

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 6
I had a similar problem with optical out of my macbook pro. I hooked it up to a Boulder Digital Preamp with built in DAC. 24/96 sounded like you've described. Intermittent with lots of static, terrible. When I set the sample rate down to the next step down it got a lot better. I couldn't figure it out. I brought it home and hooked it up to my AVR (Yamaha RXV-730) and set it to 24/96 and the receiver seemed to decode it correctly. I'm not sure what the diagnosis is either. But I've had a similar issue.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 6
It is a very interesting thing when using this type of equipment various upsampling can happen. Are you using WASAPI on vista?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back