Why do you think it's easier for the average consumer?
Sep 22, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 15
An increase in image resolution is clearly noticeable. Lossy compression is designed to be as transparent as possible. They're two entirely different concepts, really.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 15
The difference is quite dramatic when jumping from SD to HD video, and perhaps it's easier for people to compare things visually.

Lossy vs lossless audio on the other hand, is quite difficult as lossy compression's purpose is to actually 'trick' you into hearing the same thing. SD video certainly doesn't try to look like HD video, does it?
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Maybe a better comparison would be lossy vs. lossless image files. JPG versus PNG for example. The differences are hard to spot with most images until JPG compression gets too high.

I believe humans also have better visual memory than aural memory. Our eyes are also tuned to spot fine detail in our surroundings, and through evolution took precedence over our ears. It's one of the benefits of being upright monkeys.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 15
Jumping from SD to HD is like jumping from 11.025 kS/S to 22.050 kS/S. ie easily noticeable and there's still margin for easily noticeable change.
Jumping from lossy to lossless is like taking the Blu-Ray of the movie and comparing it to the original master before AVC compression (assuming the master is the same resolution).

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 15
I actually can't stand HD for real people. I don't want to see your ugly face in HD with all them pimples and Sh!$

MP3 192kbps vs FLAC 2750kbps = no difference

I aim for MP3 320mbps

I feel the argument already scaling the walls.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 15
One thing is that, if you get someone to try tell the difference between Standard and HD on a 7" black and white Tv, they won't be able to tell the difference, so they will stick to standard deff.
People listen to music on ibuds, crappy computer speakers etc, so they can't tell the difference between lossy and lossless, because the equipment won't reproduce the differences.
Makes sense to me

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 15
Most people don't own good audio gear. Even in the world of turntables which I love, those cheap plastic record players from the 80s are pretty bad, IMO. But truth be told, even with mediocre generic audio systems, music is still emotionally satisfying especially if you don't know any better. For years during my college days, I listened to lo fi audio and loved it. However, with the Internet and the explosion of neo hi fi audio, why not? It's too easy to buy good gear! 

It's also too easy to buy good TVs too. I can just pop in at a Best Buy (American chain store) and buy me a killer Samsung tv and not even do research on the product. TVs are pretty darn good these days. We are blessed in this era of shopping choices. Lots of great choices these days. These days, I try not to get overly picky about things and just enjoy the movies and music. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

It's also too easy to buy good TVs too. I can just pop in at a Best Buy (American chain store) and buy me a killer Samsung tv and not even do research on the product. TVs are pretty darn good these days. We are blessed in this era of shopping choices. Lots of great choices these days. These days, I try not to get overly picky about things and just enjoy the movies and music. 

It's easy to buy bad tvs too, walk into any chain store, and some of the expensive tvs look terrible, being in the times we are now, we may have access to great things, but we are also surrounded by a much larger amount of poor quality things.
It's hard to escape, if your like me, and want things that are made to last, for instance, I had this problem recently, I needed a new wallet (my last fell apart) so I wanted something well made, that would last me, say 15yrs+
all the wallets I could find were poorly made, stitching was awful, drivers license etc wouldn't fit in the pockets, plastic zips. It was tragic, my father has a wallet that he has Had for over 30 years, it look old, beaten, battered and scared, but its still a hell of a lot more solid than anything I could find.
things like that really tick me off :/

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Most people don't own good audio gear. Even in the world of turntables which I love, those cheap plastic record players from the 80s are pretty bad, IMO. But truth be told, even with mediocre generic audio systems, music is still emotionally satisfying especially if you don't know any better. For years during my college days, I listened to lo fi audio and loved it. However, with the Internet and the explosion of neo hi fi audio, why not? It's too easy to buy good gear! 

I've got a cheapy new turntable that sounds better out of the box then HIFI vintage turntables.

Sure, it might not be as customizable as the vintage sets. But for $60 it's well worth it. It would have been $150 for a cart for the vintage to not even sound as good as this.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I needed a new wallet (my last fell apart) so I wanted something well made, that would last me, say 15yrs+
all the wallets I could find were poorly made, stitching was awful, drivers license etc wouldn't fit in the pockets, plastic zips. It was tragic, my father has a wallet that he has Had for over 30 years, it look old, beaten, battered and scared, but its still a hell of a lot more solid than anything I could find.

I bought a wallet a few months ago made of stingray skin leather which is from the stingray fish. Supposedly, it is the strongest or one of the strongest leathers out there so I assume that it may last a while. I've seen one guy at my job who has an old genuine alligator skin wallet and it looks like it's built to last, plus it looks really nice too. I may buy one perhaps someday.

Trafalgar Genuine Alligator Wallet | Nordstrom

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I bought a wallet a few months ago made of stingray skin leather which is from the stingray fish. Supposedly, it is the strongest or one of the strongest leathers out there so I assume that it may last a while. I've seen one guy at my job who has an old genuine alligator skin wallet and it looks like it's built to last, plus it looks really nice too. I may buy one perhaps someday.

Trafalgar Genuine Alligator Wallet | Nordstrom

For a nominal price of NZD 762.....
thats an awful lot for a wallet....

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
It's easy to buy bad tvs too, walk into any chain store, and some of the expensive tvs look terrible, being in the times we are now, we may have access to great things, but we are also surrounded by a much larger amount of poor quality things.
It's hard to escape, if your like me, and want things that are made to last, for instance, I had this problem recently, I needed a new wallet (my last fell apart) so I wanted something well made, that would last me, say 15yrs+

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/102-Wallets-Medium-Bifold-/products/1978-Leather-Wallet-Bifold-Medium-Carbon-Black

$45 USD. About as tough as you're going to find. Yay for the internet.

Lots of things may be crap now, but it's always been that way.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Sep 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back