Why do you prefer passive speaker/monitors?
Mar 23, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #61 of 96
KRK Rokit monitors are okay for their prices, but really, they are not highend. I think a pair of Manger MSMc1 could possibly compete with the Vapor Cirrus.

Quote:
Theoretically, an active Vapor Cirrus could be incredible, I'm not saying that it couldn't be. Vapor Sound doesn't make one. In a challenge against actives that do exist, Event, Genelec, Adam, etc, my money would be on the Cirrus every time. It's incredible, one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and I've heard stuff that costs $200K.

Active crossovers and bi-amped drivers are not magic bullets, they don't make a KRK Rokit sound better than a Cirrus or a Merlin TSM, or even much if any better than a comparably priced passive speaker from somebody like NHT. It's just one way to do it.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #62 of 96
Interesting driver design. The x-over is at 330Hz, so nearly the entire frequency range is handled by the "tweeter". I'd need to hear it. The RAAL used by Vapor is among the very best there is. As far as ribbons are concerned, I think only the Raven is in the same class.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #63 of 96
Simple reason why I prefer passive over active, upgradability. I started out with a simple sony surroundset, slowly phasing out the cheapies with better floorstanders, then upgraded my receiver to a marantz with pre-outs, slowly adding poweramps and later on even better speakers. To get the same SQ I would have to invest a small fortune in active speakers, which will lose it value real fast on the second hand market cause there is very little demand for them.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #64 of 96

Quote:
To get the same SQ I would have to invest a small fortune in active speakers, which will lose it value real fast on the second hand market cause there is very little demand for them.

That's not really true. High-end monitors like Adams or Genelecs hold their value very well, and are pretty easy to sell.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #67 of 96
Active crossovers are superior to passive. Then you might be wondering why the top end speakers like $30000 a pair use passive? Well passive can be good too. Spending that much money likely means expensive amps as well and who wants to buy multiple amps costing that much? Then they would have to fuss over does this tweeter amp synergising with the midbass amp etc...paranoid audiophile headaches...Could be other reasons and their would certainly be megabuck active systems of course.  Also consider the simplicity of using passive most people have one amp ie 5.1 channel so if they buy/build speakers they can use their common commercial 5.1 amp. For most people the multiple amps and crossovers  just cost too much and as said it doesn't blend easily with common audio systems. Most high end buyers (not the mega wealthy) would be turned off having to buy multiple expensive amps I imagine.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #68 of 96
Interesting indeed. Gonna throw in another potential contender: PMC AML2. I only have some very limited experience with PMC monitors, but I was very impressed with their sonic quality. At any rate, I did a little more digging on the Vapor Cirrus, and they do look quite intriguing (reminds me of the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento, even the cabinet designs are kind of similar). Pity they are made to order.

Quote:

how about a pair of Lindemann BL-10?

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #69 of 96

Quote:
I did a little more digging on the Vapor Cirrus, and they do look quite intriguing (reminds me of the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento, even the cabinet designs are kind of similar). Pity they are made to order.

That's how they are able to price them starting at $3700. You can't build a speaker like that and sell it through a regular dealer network for that price. The other advantage of factory direct is that you can have them exactly how you want them. Internal wiring, crossover components, even the binding posts are up to you.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #70 of 96
I listed to these, the ATC SCM100ASL, the other day:

...but I was most impressed by these:

​
I am now most intrigued by these, the Munro Egg, which is also an active design, but one that places the amps and crossovers in an outboard box.

​
 ​
Here's a review of the Munro Egg, including an informative video of a presentation by Andy Munro on speaker design and the Egg.  For Munro's pedigree and credentials, check the review.

Those PMC look very nice, but I'd hate to ask the price...

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #71 of 96
Quote:
That's how they are able to price them starting at $3700. You can't build a speaker like that and sell it through a regular dealer network for that price. The other advantage of factory direct is that you can have them exactly how you want them. Internal wiring, crossover components, even the binding posts are up to you.

That make sense. Now the million dollar question is.. just how do they compare with the established brands? It's unlikely I'll ever be able to go to their factory in Missouri and find out first hand for myself.

Quote:
Those PMC look very nice, but I'd hate to ask the price...

They're quite a bit cheaper than the ATC you mentioned... around 10K a pair.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #72 of 96

Quote:

That make sense. Now the million dollar question is.. just how do they compare with the established brands? It's unlikely I'll ever be able to go to their factory in Missouri and find out first hand for myself.

They are giant killers, I've heard monitors at $6, 7, and 8K a pair and the Cirrus is better. You really need to spend $10K+ to beat them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #73 of 96
Hey Guys,

Would anyone recommend me the Alesis M1 Active MKII for lay home listening? Or it would be too analytical or dry?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Would anyone recommend me the Alesis M1 Active MKII for lay home listening? Or it would be too analytical or dry?

I'm using the Passive version of the Alesis M1 MKII speakers.

The active version, though newer, sounds very bad as compared with the Passive version.
Users who bought both the active and passive versions have complained that the bass is too boomy on the active version.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #75 of 96
I haven't read through this entire thread yet but in general active speakers can be better in that the amp can be tuned specifically for the speaker, which can yield a more efficient, graceful and better sounding speaker design.

It's also better to get the power source (amp) close to the speaker rather than run power via speaker cables, especially for long runs.  I know that in the pro audio world, Meyer Sound prefers and specializes in active speakers.

In a stadium for example, they power the speakers in place are and are able to run a clean line level signal, separate from power, into the speakers.

I have the active Audioengine A5+ speakers and am a lot more impressed with their sound over what I heard from the passive P4 speakers and their separate N22 amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back