Why do we put up with it?
Aug 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this is a little knit-picky but Since Denon announced the AH-D7000 their marketing literature has listed leather as the material used on ear-pads and headband.

Still to this day, if you look at retailers web-sites they'll lead you to believe that you are buying a product with leather parts. What you get for your extra money is the same cheap plastic as the lower end products have.

Nobody seems that concerned about it. I think this sets a bad precedent. It's my opinion that manufacturers should be held accountable for the claims of their marketing literature and called to task if they prove false.

What do you guys think?

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Failure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely. If this actually is proclaimed by Denon. (I don't know), then you would have to call it as it is: cheating, fraud, deception, swindle... you name it.

It is. This is Denon USA's product description page.

@EugeneK, The D2000, D5000 and D7000 all have the same vinyl (plastic) ear cushions and headband covers. There is no leather.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 14
the only mention of leather is in the D7000 description. Have these been proven to be fake leather?

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah crap that sucks, I just got a pair of d7000's, I thought they were real leather (still haven't gotten them) but I'll compare the headbands and pads when i get them to my d2000's

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I actually knew in advance that the D7000 had no leather, but I didn't know Denon said they did. All I knew about them came from Head-Fi. I never even looked at the Denon product description. Honestly, if I had known that Denon was doing this, I wouldn't have bought them, simply because I do not wish to support companies that blatantly lie about their products.

There is good news though. The JMoney lambskin ear-pads are only $65 (at headphone.com's website soon) and they are spectacular. Trust me, get a pair and your D7000's will feel like what you expected to get for your money.

@ paaj....Yes. It is an indisputable fact that the D7000's have not one spec of leather on them, anywhere.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 14
maybe if you email Denon with the complaint you get a small refund to get those Jmoney pads, though they'll probably tell you that the kind of fake leather they use is indistinguishable from the real thing or actually some kind of officially approved leather substitute.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe if you email Denon with the complaint you get a small refund to get those Jmoney pads, though they'll probably tell you that the kind of fake leather they use is indistinguishable from the real thing or actually some kind of officially approved leather substitute.

I already emailed Denon. Basically I just told them that I thought what they were doing is wrong and that from now on I'll spend my money elsewhere as long as they are doing it. I doubt I'll even get a response.

But if they want to claim that their vinyl is so good that it can be referred to as leather, then why not list the same description for the D2000 and D5000? See what I mean? They are trying to make their flagship model, more attractive by saying that it has something that the other models don't. When in reality, the flagship has the exact same plastic parts as the less expensive models.

EDIT: Okay I realize that this thread may look like: [size=small]me=[/size]
soapbox.gif

Thanks to those who have replied. I've had my say and I look forward to hearing from others.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm sure it was just a typo and they forgot to add a "p" before leather
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Oh, the horror. zzzzzzzzz

lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Okay I realize that this thread may look like: [size=small]me=[/size]
soapbox.gif

Thanks to those who have replied. I've had my say and I look forward to hearing from others.

Nah I personally don't have any relationship to these Denon cans but of course this is interesting. It shows very bad form if they did this on purpose, and this is the sort of buyer deception that shouldn't work anymore in the "internet age".

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 14
hmmm

i have a denon d2000 and the pads smell like leather
i also have some extra d2000 pads that dont smell like leather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back