Why do the iMod if the 4G isn't gapless?
Nov 30, 2006 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Rockbox doesn't count, because even that seems to not be stable in its own rights for the 4G model. At least, last time I checked...
redface.gif

I'm just wondering. I know anybody would love the SQ, but then wouldn't you guys get fed up with the tiny gaps of silence between songs?

TIA.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox doesn't count, because even that seems to not be stable in its own rights for the 4G model. At least, last time I checked...
redface.gif

I'm just wondering. I know anybody would love the SQ, but then wouldn't you guys get fed up with the tiny gaps of silence between songs?

TIA.

no. why?

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 12
I believe that the reason is that it sounds good
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 12
the imod sounds great, and that's all i care about. a separation of a few seconds between songs is a non issue to me. if you want the best sound by far from an ipod, you do the imod, period.

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 12
...And Rockbox changes a LOT. Plus, given the rather large iPod user base, you can bet that the current problems with it are a high priority for the Rockbox team.

So the battery doesn't last as long as the regular firmware, and it might be a little buggy. iPod firmware is buggy too, and not half as useful as Rockbox. Just use it. Plus, you can always switch back to the iPod firmware if Rockbox isn't doing it for you yet. Hell, I'd consider an iModded iPod Photo if it weren't for the versatility of my H120 and a Micro DAC.

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 12
For those who listen to classical (and there maybe other genres that have the same issue), for those works that are all in one movement (e.g., Sibelius 7th) there is a noticeable "gap" (quick stop) between "movements." I wonder if there is a way to get around this. It's not too terrible, but it can be distracting.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 12
I REALLY don't understand all the uproar about gapless. To each their own but it just seems so insignificant to me. I haven't had the iMod done yet, but I'll take SQ everytime over gapless.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 12
if vinnie can somehow get 5G iPods iModded, then this solves the problem.

but it's a shame i sold my 4G iPod, i would've totally iModded it by now...V_V

SQ < gapless

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SQ < gapless

qft. How can something have good sq if it can't faithfully reproduce the files that it is playing. If gaps aren't on the album their shouldn't be any on the player. Gapless is an inherently quality of sound quality imo. So, I guess it would be more true to say that gapless=sq

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qft. How can something have good sq if it can't faithfully reproduce the files that it is playing. If gaps aren't on the album their shouldn't be any on the player. Gapless is an inherently quality of sound quality imo. So, I guess it would be more true to say that gapless=sq

Quite right, i don't think of it as "player X isn't gapless", i think of it as
"player X has dropouts in the music"

Totally ruins the flow for me. I cannot understand why ALL DAP's aren't gapless. It can't be hard to do if Rio managed it 3 years ago, Ipod has it now, and rockbox can do it. Any new player (yes I'm talking to you microsoft) should be capable of playing gaplessly out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back