Why do some very successful products get discontinued?
Sep 7, 2020 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pannayar

100+ Head-Fier
Why do some very successful / highly reviewed products get discontinued (not just audio/headphones but in any category)?

In headphones I am sure there must be many such examples, I can think of a couple like the Philips SHP9500, Sennheiser PX100, Sony MDR-W08 (a sub $10 one in the past that now sells about $50 used...).

I cannot think of a good reason other than guessing one that it may be affects/hurts the sale of the other product lines from the same manufacturer?

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Due to the efficiency of mass production, individual headphone model often is made in big batch, sometime even by OEM. Basically company will estimate how many they will eventually sale on any particular model over a certain period time (product lifespan), then they setup a production line and pump out the number they needed. Once that's done, factory will move on to other models with a new production line, so on and so forth - this means company can avoid having too many production line in the factory and thus saving a lot of cost. So you can imagine when one model is sold off faster than expected, a new production line needs to be setup while at the same time the all parts needed to be secured first - and there is where most of the problem comes, as you might simply not able to get the same part anymore, i.e. transducer is usually sourced from third party and it might have been discontinued. Other possible issue is that the OEM might not be working with the company anymore.

A good example is the USA's F22 fighter jet - due to the high cost and long time of manufacturing as well as how long ago it was first designed (in late 80s ~ early 90s), the computer unit has been discontinued long ago. So many military expert actually predict that F22 will have a part supply issue if it goes into war as the stockpile of its computer might not be enough without significant upgrade to a new computer and that will cost a lot more. Headphone company also faces similar issue - if remaking an older model will likely cost more (and don't forget it is the same model as before so price can't be changed much), company will just opt for new model instead.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 5
In other products, a shortage a parts. Like in the world of guitar pedals, there may be some highly sought after new old stock germanium transistor that’s part of the secret of the great sound. Or a certain chip that was manufactured in the 1970s but no longer in production.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 5
In the world of cameras, the Canon AE 1 was one of the most famous 35 mm film cameras 📷 of all time. It’s a classic. People still use film usually for artistic reasons. Any serious photographer knows this camera. I feel that if it were to be reissued today, it will sell well but may be hard to do while keeping the price reasonable. Most people in the public will not care but deep in the woods film photographers would love it if it were to be resurrected.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Other possible issue is that the OEM might not be working with the company anymore.

I read somewhere that the guy who designed the Kawasaki Z1 engine went over to Suzuki who then produced the GS1000 which is very similar. They went on to make the 1000cc and after models were based on the earlier engine (GPZ). Maybe in this case it didn't affect Kawasaki too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back