Why do some headphones make vocals sound "sharp" like painful to the ear with the "s/t" letters?
Jan 13, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 33
Bad recordings, bad microphones. Hence the need for a de-esser plugin or inverted EQ bump at 4-8 KHz.

The Glasvegas album is one to mention. Decent album song-wise, painful to listen to on a D2 with grados. The drums are also affected, not sparkling cymbals but rather like little nails hitting your ears.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You found the HD600 sibilant? My experience is with the HD650, but I still find that difficult to believe - what songs, and what gear?

Its pretty hard to say, because I noticed it with HD555 too and I used to listen to them with lower volume.
Still I think its worse with HD600 by relatively big margin.
Something to do with HD555 being bit "muddy" i guess.
Just sold them so cant compare.

Whole coldplays X&Y album is a good example, try Talk or X&Y; atm sibilance ruins my listening experience.

Right now I'm waiting for my amp to arrive, listening straight from my revo 5.1s headphone jack, not near being ideal but i guess it doesn't affect sibilance in any way.
Anyway i should be getting that amp in few days so I'll report if it helps.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vash2022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you eq it out? im not very good at eqing...anything. Also anyone know if the westone um2s are sibilant?

most are ok but for the bad ones on my cowon i set the highest to 9k then set it about -5 also now avoid bbe or any other settings apart from the 3 bandwidth settings set to on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back