Why do some albums suck the first time you hear them but then grow to love it?
May 30, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #16 of 19
Just bought the new QOTSA two days ago, but I loved it immediately. Seems it was smart of them to release all those loops online so I would have more motivation to buy it. Tricky bastards.

May 30, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 19
For me it is the music of Tim Story, especially The Perfect Flaw -- the music is a kind of gentle, quiet chamber music, but there is a very uncomfortable and dissonant undercurrent to it. I tried to like it, decided that I didn't understand it, and cast it aside. But later, some passages from the album would creep into my head at odd moments -- when I was sitting in the neighbourhood diner, walking down a loney alley in the afternoon, for example -- and suddenly the music made complete sense. These are blissful, almost mystical, experiences that I haven't encountered with other musicians.

May 30, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 19
It's about familiarity. I think it is potentially a good sign when you don't like an album at first. It perhaps indicates that it's different and unique. Not always.

May 30, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 19
This is a question i often wrestle with myself and i'm glad it's not just me...There's obviously some physiological component (mumbo jumbo) going on that cause this. This is why i'm careful not to form a conclusion whether i like the song/album on the first few listens. Though more often than not i never end up liking albums i didn't like at first no matter what...

Another question i think about is why do i end up really disliking some songs/albums which i previously really liked after a period of time of maybe years...This seems to go beyond just getting tired of them in the typical sense...The seven year itch? Dr. Phil?

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back