Why Do So Many Recordings Sound Like Crap And What Can Be Done About It?
Aug 16, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an action group: Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

This links to an excellent website. The Press/Media button on the homepage of "Turn Me Up" provides a bunch of links to articles and information about the "loudness war." I feel better knowing that this phenomenon is being documented and at least some of us are trying to do something about the situation.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #32 of 48
I can't understand why the record companies make them this way ? Surely better dynamics etc would sound better even through ibuds ? Is it just so there records are louder than others so they stand out and now everyone has to keep it up ?

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #33 of 48
Because they are bad mastered, in a way that the dynamic range is completely destroyed.
Really bad idea imo. Hopefully record companies and studios realize that and give us the dynamic range back!

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's time to widen your musical horizons.

While this is never a bad thing, as a solution to the problem, it's hardly satisfactory.

The purpose of getting better quality gear is not so we can all become true audiophiles and listen to classical and jazz all day (not that I mind a bit of classical).

We want the best quality for the music that inspires, entertains or moves us. It's unfortunate that some genres have sound engineers that walk around with a turd-on-a-stick and smear some on each CD for good measure. But that doesn't change the music behind it, and that's what we're here for.

Perhaps some music is going to work a bit better with lesser gear, so the flaws are glossed over a little?

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #35 of 48
Why don't create a liste (or thread) of bad recording ?
it cans be usefull for every one.
So I start :
my new purchase : Frederika Stahl sound very bad ( Jazz ).

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a problem with sendspace, can you please upload it to Fileflyer?
Thank you

Links are working for me.
biggrin.gif

Try again.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's unfortunate that some genres have sound engineers that walk around with a turd-on-a-stick and smear some on each CD for good measure. But that doesn't change the music behind it, and that's what we're here for.

It's not generally the engineers that are responsible for hot mastering. It's the executives who send notes down saying, "I put the CD in right after I played a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD and it was much quieter. Make it as loud as the Red Hot Chili Peppers CD." The engineer then looks at his tracks which are already normalized to 100% and starts squashing until the executive says "OK". Usually, by the time the executive notices the drop in sound quality, it's way past what any normal human being would tolerate.

See ya
Steve

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

It's not generally the engineers that are responsible for hot mastering. It's the executives who send notes down saying, "I put the CD in right after I played a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD and it was much quieter. Make it as loud as the Red Hot Chili Peppers CD." The engineer then looks at his tracks which are already normalized to 100% and starts squashing until the executive says "OK". Usually, by the time the executive notices the drop in sound quality, it's way past what any normal human being would tolerate.

See ya
Steve

interesting. you really thing that executives have that much of a say in the final product? i would have thought they would let the people who know what their doing do their jobs =/ but i guess that rarely happens.

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #39 of 48
I don't think records today are that bad. Some artists actually prefer vintage sound signatures with their voice and instruments so they use vintage microphones which are not really technically superior to today's microphones. Typically, they have more noise levels in their recordings and some may think it's due to excessive compression, but that's not always the case. Of course, this don't speak for all of them out there, maybe not even half of them. I do come across time to time, on albums from big name bands that just sounds horrendous beyond comprehension such as White Stripes' last album for example. But so far, I've been lucky with other quality recordings in majority part of my library.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

. . . It's the executives who send notes down saying, "I put the CD in right after I played a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD and it was much quieter. Make it as loud as the Red Hot Chili Peppers CD." . . .

The engineer then looks up and says . . .
"that's what the little round silver knob on the left is for, it's called a [size=medium]VOLUME CONTROL![/size]"

angry_face.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think records today are that bad. Some artists actually prefer vintage sound signatures with their voice and instruments so they use vintage microphones which are not really technically superior to today's microphones.

Vintage mikes definitely sound better. The best designs were created in the fifties and are still being made today.

See ya
Steve

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The engineer then looks up and says . . .
"that's what the little round silver knob on the left is for, it's called a VOLUME CONTROL!

The problem is that execs listen to the song against other records, and when they do that, the non-hot mastered track sounds quiet and wimpy in comparison. It's a vicious circle though because as hot mastered tracks become the norm, to stand out, your track needs to be even MORE hot mastered.

See ya
Steve

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Vintage mikes definitely sound better. The best designs were created in the fifties and are still being made today.

See ya
Steve

I agree. Vintage microphones have unique sound signature which has pleasant warmth to it and I very much like it. However it's more prone to noises which in some places require noise reducing process whereas ones made today are pretty much resistant to background noises. Maybe some high-end vintage microphones are also resistant to noises but that I don't know since I don't have enough experience on it.
redface.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #44 of 48
In the age when people listen to music on Youtube (mono) ...the Recording doesnt even matter to 90% population.

these people listen music on their laptop with onboard soundcard via ibuds and claim 'wow, ibuds are soooo good'.

Thats why i say...the ONLY solution is to popularise Head-fi.

only forums like head-fi can enlighten people..then they ll demand better recordings..and the Recording studios will pay attention to mastering.

So spread Head-fi.

(same message posted on other thread also so dont think i am spamming)

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #45 of 48
I just had to comment about the people listening to music on youtube bit....

This I cannot stand, more than anything else.

If someone sends me a youtube link to listen to a song, I de-friend them and send a rude letter to their mother....

No but seriously, I agree that youtube is only furthering the tolerance for absolutely horrendous sound quality in the youth of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back