Why do ppl buy OEM ipod headphones?!
Dec 16, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 41
I think the "don't know" factor is a big part as well as the thought.. "they are the ones that came with them so therefore...I'll use them". I don't think anyone here is meaning to insult anyone using them, it's just hard for us to know what else is out there for a little more $ and others don't. Man..on my first couple of ipods I sold the unused ipod earphones for around $30 on ebay! amazing.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 41
I like the iPod stock cable. In fact I just replaced my broken ER6 cable with it.

And some ppl wanna pass down their old iPod to siblings so get them a new bud for gifting purpose.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 41
my friend is silly. He doesn't know the ipod is a bad audio player and he goes and buys skull candy iems. I just bought marshmallows yesterday and am awaiting a Cowon D2 and eventually might buy super.fi 3's.

And people use them because they don't see spending more money because those ibuds come with the player.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 41
I'm happy to say that JVC Marshmallows are the FOTY at Hofstra Law. I never thought I'd see the day when any earphone outnumbered the apple bud anywhere.
biggrin.gif

They cost only $20 in the campus store and have just caught on through word of mouth.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy to say that JVC Marshmallows are the FOTY at Hofstra Law. I never thought I'd see the day when any earphone outnumbered the apple bud anywhere.
biggrin.gif

They cost only $20 in the campus store and have just caught on through word of mouth.

Those FX33's are pretty good for that price. The only faults that I found with them are the rather flabby bass response and the somewhat grainy highs (in stock form).

As for the iBuds, I agree that their retail price of $30 is too high for the sound quality that they deliver. In fact, they are worth only about half of what they go for. Still, they do sound better than the low-end Sony earbuds which sell in the sub-$20 price point.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my friend is silly. He doesn't know the ipod is a bad audio player and he goes and buys skull candy iems. I just bought marshmallows yesterday and am awaiting a Cowon D2 and eventually might buy super.fi 3's.

And people use them because they don't see spending more money because those ibuds come with the player.

The iPod is a bad audio player? Are you serious? It's a good-sounding digital audio player with a great user interface that has a lot of potential for even higher-quality sound -- LOD, Red Wine Audio iMod -- and, with RockBox, extensive support for file formats.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod is a bad audio player? Are you serious? It's a good-sounding digital audio player with a great user interface that has a lot of potential for even higher-quality sound -- LOD, Red Wine Audio iMod -- and, with RockBox, extensive support for file formats.

As an iPod owner and a hi-fi owner, I have to agree that the iPod really isn't that impressive. It's convenient and portable, but that's really all it has going for it; the sound quality is ok at best.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #25 of 41
Are you using the Headphone Output or Line Out as I find it's very good using Apple Lossless through the Tomahawk for a portable device?

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 41
People in my school really don't care about audio quality. They just buy an Ipod and if the OEM buds stop working then they just get new ones - either that or Bose. And they don't buy Bose because they think it's so much better or something, they just buy it because Bose products are expensive.
At least I managed to change the mentality of my classmates a bit.

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the Headphone Output or Line Out as I find it's very good using Apple Lossless through the Tomahawk for a portable device?

I think I was the one you were asking (if not... oops).

I use the line out into a Headroom Micro amp into Shure 530s. It does the trick, but since getting a really nice main system I've found it a bit hard to listen to; I'll use it on long trips or whenever I have to do data entry at work (thank god that's not very often) but I don't use it for serious listening anymore... it's very hard to fill the shoes of a Linn Akurate
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 41
The average person would not acknowledge or even care about improved sound quality with better headphones. Another thing is they do not wish to spend over $50 on pair of headphones, or even have background knowledge on better audio and how the music is suppost to sound.
The point is average person like them because it matches the iPod, Sound good to their ears or at least they hear the music, and they are "Apple headphones".

Also, $30 for them is ridiculous.

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The average person would not acknowledge or even care about improved sound quality with better headphones. Another thing is they do not wish to spend over $50 on pair of headphones, or even have background knowledge on better audio and how the music is suppost to sound.
The point is average person like them because it matches the iPod, Sound good to their ears or at least they hear the music, and they are "Apple headphones".

Also, $30 for them is ridiculous.

Agreed, which is why you have to get sneaky and use Christmas to indoctrinate them. I gave my daughter's half-brother (he lived with me for five or six years, so I still get him presents) an early present to take on his Christmas vacation... a decent set of Shure IEMs and a HeadRoom BitHead amp.

It was wonderful hearing him say "I can hear stuff I've never heard before!" He was completely uninterested in getting quality sound out of his iPod when it was on his dime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back