Why do phones and amps have such a good resale value?
Jul 22, 2006 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vinyl addict

100+ Head-Fier
From searching the FS ads for phones and amps, I've noticed that most of the asking prices are not far off from the new retail prices (generally less 20-25%). Compared to used components that are "non head-fi" like speakers, turntables, power amps, line preamps, cables, etc...the going resale value is less 30% to 50% depending on the age of the piece.

It's not like there isn't a lack of competition or shortage of phones or head amps to choose from out there. Cans are probably one of the most abused pieces in the audio chain not to mention that they sit on other peoples dirty heads and uncleaned ears.

Being new to the phone world, I'm totally shocked with these used asking prices. Help me understand
blink.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Headphones are themselves cheap to begin with. Some people's reason for pursuing headphones instead of speakers is money. Many of those people are students who consider a savings of ~$30 worthwhile after you figure in shipping and possibly duty.

This doesn't really carry into the high priced cans or amps. My Reference for instance cost $2100, but sells here used for ~$1100. The Grado RS1 sells for $695 new, while used its closer to $525. So the higher the tag, the larger the gap between new and used.

Since money is not an issue for me, I prefer to buy cans new and amps used.

Oh big thing, look on AudioGon first. Typically things sell for quite a bit less there. I bought my Reference on AudioGon for $550, from $2100 new
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 7
New models do not come out that often to replace the old designs. So headphones tend to keep their values. Plus they are usually babied and are often in mint condition which adds value.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 7
there's definitely value in somebody else burning in some cans for you, if you can audition them before you buy. Kinda like find cabernets and Bordeaux (that how you spellz it?)

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
there's definitely value in somebody else burning in some cans for you, if you can audition them before you buy. Kinda like find cabernets and Bordeaux (that how you spellz it?)

Good analogy.

What's a typical lifespan of a well made ($1000) pair of cans anyway? If it's 10+ years I might consider a higher model...perhaps a ATH W5000.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 7
There is not enough competition. If you want top-tier speakers, you have hundreds of choices. If you want top tier headphones, you have about 10-15 choices. And, as somebody pointed out, new models don't come out often.

The lifespan of a headphone depends on how you treat it. There are 20+ year-old headphones that work just fine and sell for hefty prices here (AKG K350, Stax Sigmas, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back