Why do people use Windows?
Nov 10, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #31 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MacOS X is another Unix variant
wink.gif

Is the user exposed to the Unix bits of OS X, or can everything be done through the UI?

Quote:

From personal experience, Windows is a lot more of hassle to manage, from installation to support, than a good Unix system (be it MacOS, Linux, Solaris...). I have been a sysadmin for quite big user bases with mixed Solaris and Windows NT installations, guess which ate 95% of my time...

I managed a team of staff administering both, and found the best apprach was to pick the right OS for the job at hand. I would never let a Windows box face the Internet (IIS anyone).

It's interesting to note that one of the guys I had in my team was an ex mainframe sysprog (including most of the sysadmin role), and he constantly complained about what a hassle both Windows and Unix were to administer compared to MVS.

Quote:

Vista was the first blow, many developers are considering switching sides.

Personally and professionally, I dread each new Windows version because it generates heaps of new work but there is usually no associated business benefit. But, in contrast I used to almost have a brain melt-down everytime the issue of Linux on the corporate desktop was raised
plainface.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #32 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
monopoly-helped retail sales (microsoft forcing their system everywhere). Look at how any computer or laptop out there is sold with Windows pre-installed...

Windows and Linux are the only choices since OSX isn't an option for manufacturers (other than Apple). And Linux is not yet ready to be widely used. As a new user, just getting my monitor to display above 640x480 was a pain. Having to manually modify xorg.conf is the first problem. And there really should be something to check syntax so the whole thing doesn't crash from one mistake. And I still haven't gotten all the buttons on my mouse working yet. Until Linux can automate trivial things such as these, I don't think it'll become mainstream until then.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #33 of 283
No matter how much you dislike Windows.[Or is it Microsoft that people hate]
Until other systems have some semblance of plug & play and a wizard driven interface they will never become mainstream.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #34 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the user exposed to the Unix bits of OS X, or can everything be done through the UI?

There are GUI for everything you need in daily use.
But there are certainly Unix bits (applications) which can only be accessed through Terminal as well. For us advanced users that is...

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #35 of 283
I don't know much about computers, it's not a passion of mine. However, I want to be able to use my computer when I need to.

I had (and still have) a Windows operated one and every week it had problems. The last one was (is) that every couple of days it decides it doesn't accept the wireless internet connection. Then it has to be configured again etc. And a friend of mine, who really is into computers, has to spend an hour or so to fix the problem.

He then said "buy a Mac" - which I did, a couple of weeks ago.

Zero problems since.

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #36 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, despite what diehard mac and linux supporters would have you believe, there is simply no other substitute for foobar, EAC, and the plugins, features and control they offer under mac or linux. Simple as that.

Same thing goes for games and drivers for obscure or non mainstream hardware.

This of course excludes Vista, which sucks. The best OS right now is XP x64.

There is DX10 -- but I would use a hacked version that ran on XP, even if slower, than use vista. At the very worst, I might have to dual boot with vista if I want to run a program under DX10.

It's pretty strange that you cite poor driver support as a reason why Linux is inferior, yet you claim XP x64 is the best operating system out. OK

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #37 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can do everything from the UI, and the power users still have a command line access. And what UI it is, it's far ahead of everything else maybe apart from Enlightenment E17 which pioneered most of its concepts but that one never left pre-alpha dev stage... Windows Vista tried to copy some of Mac OS X concepts but as usual with MS, the implementation is *very* heavy and poorly coded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how much you dislike Windows.[Or is it Microsoft that people hate]

Both. Microsoft because they have an history of playing the dirtiest tricks in the business, and Windows for technical reasons.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until other systems have some semblance of plug & play and a wizard driven interface they will never become mainstream.

That's the most common misconception. Actually for a newbie, a recent Linux distro or a MacOS X are very easy to setup, actually easier than Windows... My parents managed to install a Linux on their home comp even though they are not technical.
The hassle is not there, it's mostly like people fear change, and they will not accept to learn everything again, as they just use computers as tools, so as long as the OS "kinda works" it's ok. The war is on the office front at the moment, and Microsoft is losing terrain every day to the open source competition. Once this war is over, the rest of software will follow.
Mac OS X is the step in the right direction.
I am not the only one who will get rid of Windows once my favorite apps (games in my case) are all on other systems.

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #38 of 283
as much as hardcore linux & mac fanboys want to deny it, windows is and will remain the most popular OS because for most people it's the best choice. As long as you don't eat from Apple's propaganda departments hand Windows just works. No matter how you use your computer Windows can handle it, neither macs or linux can offer the same.

(and yes, I'm windows/microsoft fanboy)

Edit: Oh and wake up, every dirty trick microsoft has done, apple has done too.. apple just doesn't get convicted because they don't have the market share

Nov 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #39 of 283
Quote:My parents managed to install a Linux on their home comp even though they are not technical. WHY.
I go back to Win 3 and have never had a problem that I have not been able to overcome.
I am afraid that like it or not Win is here to stay and I should imagine stay dominant.Typing this in Maxthon,good Chinese adaptation of a **** Browser.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #40 of 283
So I can see what's happening outside.

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #42 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can see what's happening outside.

You sir, win at teh internets!

On topic: What is the point of this thread apart from being a pointless flame bait. Nobody is converting anybody here, no matter what kind of argument is presented.

(WinXP user here who dabbles in Linux.)

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as hardcore linux & mac fanboys want to deny it, windows is and will remain the most popular OS because for most people it's the best choice. As long as you don't eat from Apple's propaganda departments hand Windows just works. No matter how you use your computer Windows can handle it, neither macs or linux can offer the same.

Nice troll
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

(and yes, I'm windows/microsoft fanboy)

You ended the troll here
wink.gif

Quote:

Edit: Oh and wake up, every dirty trick microsoft has done, apple has done too.. apple just doesn't get convicted because they don't have the market share

Ha it seems you wanted to troll some more
280smile.gif
Well any person who knows just a bit of computer history (and reads computer news) knows how wrong you are on this... Starting with federal judges and european court judges
wink.gif

(edit) and i am not a fanboy of anything, i just compare systems objectively. As said above, MS Windows is more suitable for games currently, and for some apps not yet ported to other systems. Therefore i use Windows at home, and Unix at work. Once other systems gain a foothold on these markets, expect the situation to change a lot...

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #45 of 283
I wonder how many Operating Systems there would be if everybody that complains about Operating Systems wrote their own and then try to get it to work with every possible hardware configuration imaginable.
blink.gif
I think it is a wise move to hire the best people in the world to do your developing.
Oh... Microsoft already does that
tongue.gif

btw... windows user since 3.0 and currently have XP Pro on 3 machines and XP Media Center on my laptop and WM5 on my X51V. The only time i ever have to do a reboot is when automatic updates are installed that require a reboot and all my pcs are on 24/7. (except the lappy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back