Why do people like Savant use Beats for mixing?
Jul 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ultrasonefan

Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Signature Djs and a Nuforce Icon HDP and a fiio e 18 (as an upgrade from my Ultrasone pro 900 and a Fiio e 11), I absolutely love the Signature Djs and their mindblowing bass, my listening preferences changed and I am addicted to Savant now (and some experimental Jazz), his tracks are beautifully mastered and extremely vivid. I started reading articles about him where he stated that he mostly uses his Beats PRO for mixing and listening, he also stated that in a few FB comments. My question is, is that pure marketing ? And if not, how come his music is so briliantly mastered and full of detail if he uses his Beats ? another question is why does such a musically talented person listen to music over his Beats and not some way better headphones?.

I am really questioning the quality of Beats, I tested the Pros at a local shop and they sounded quite good , I couldnt reflect on their detail because of the surrounding noises that were present in that shop.

Is it worth buying them ? I can get them for 100 Euros used here but thats also the pricetag for used M-100s.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 11
The weaknesses of those types of headphones are less apparent with bassy electronic music where real instruments are not the reference. I would not recommend Beats, since aside from their notorious reputation for bad sound quality for the price, they are also overpriced period: they cost ten or twenty dollars to make, then are sold for hundreds.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 11
The weaknesses of those types of headphones are less apparent with bassy electronic music where real instruments are not the reference. I would not recommend Beats, since aside from their notorious reputation for bad sound quality for the price, they are also overpriced period: they cost ten or twenty dollars to make, then are sold for hundreds.

There are a lot of people that like electronic music that would probably disagree.

I would not recommend Beats, since aside from their notorious reputation for bad sound quality for the price, they are also overpriced period: they cost ten or twenty dollars to make, then are sold for hundreds.

Time to Rethink Beats --now on the Wall of Fame

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 11
There are a lot of people that like electronic music that would probably disagree.

What I mean is that with bassy electronic music, some people might actually want boosted bass and generally lower sound quality, because it can (sometimes) make it sound more exciting and so on, subjectively turning those weaknesses into a strength...whereas if you were to compare some of the best audiophile headphones to more colored consumer-oriented headphones with high quality acoustic recordings, the weaknesses of the lower quality headphones would be more obvious.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 11
What I mean is that with bassy electronic music, some people might actually want boosted bass and generally lower sound quality, because it can (sometimes) make it sound more exciting and so on . . .

I don't that's an electronic music thing. I think there are some people that just like their music that way.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 11
I don't that's an electronic music thing. I think there are some people that just like their music that way.

Well, preference can go all sorts of ways. For example, with acoustic music, I want as much accuracy as possible, but with some bassy electronic music, I might want a lot more bass and impact than is actually in the recording. And other times I want to hear that more accurately too. So it can fluctuate with mood.

Anyway, if someone prefers a less accurate headphone in general, that just illustrates my point about the weaknesses of the headphone becoming a strength in subjective terms.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 11
If I were catering to music being listened to by a certain group that was going to buy it and that was most were listening to it with I would use them to mix it with. I don't think I would mix classical and say Steely Dan or Norah Jones would use Beats but some Rap or EDM maybe.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the replies,and yeah I realised that savant might use them for mixing with a good reason since beats are pretty well sold around the world.
But does he really listen to them ?
I got hold of a pair for 80 Euros Today (Pros used but Original). They are extremely fun to listen to, all those Bigroom Hits Sound as if i was in some sort of Club, the detail is almost not present but the bass slams hard "af", they dont really suck, and Savant sounds extremely Fun through them , so does most of my EDM,they let you see music totally differently, they are a different approach to music, sit back enjoy the head rattling bass and the rhytm that gets you and crank it up!
The hate is really unecessary, why do we spend hundreds on Jordans and praise them but react in rage when Beats sells overpriced headphones that are pretty fun for some kind of Music plus they look great. They are definately a keeper for me, and 80 Euros is fairly cheap for their sound, theyll never replace my gear,ever but they are a good pair to turn away from our daily routine and feel the Music without concentraring. A truly passive Listening experience!

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Wow, I dont know if that Innerfidelity article is unbiased but it looks pretty trustable, sadly I have never auditoned any of the mentioned headphones so I cant really compare. Thanks for all the numerous responses, Headfi is great!

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 11
If you want a lot of bass and don't care for anything else then go for Beats. That is up to you no one here will tell you different. There are better headphones out there for less than Beats. Just saying that is others opinion and mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back