Why do people like Dark side of the Moon so much on headphones?
May 7, 2006 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
I have two friends that approved me Dark side of the Moon if i want to be impress with headphones...Can somebody explain to me whats so good about this album? is it the beats?

May 7, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 127
even though im not into psytrance at all, i'd recommend trying some Shpongle instead. Much, much better for "headphone wow factor" than DSOTM.

May 7, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
I have two friends that approved me Dark side of the Moon if i want to be impress with headphones...Can somebody explain to me whats so good about this album? is it the beats?

Well...were you impressed? Have you tried listening to it?

It is musically a great work...the recording quality is a nice bonus.

May 7, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 127
Quote:

does this album needs the actual cd of 320kbs mp3 will work already?

Huh?

DSOTM is a classic. It is very well recorded and has a variety of different instruments ot compare to.

May 7, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 127
It is quite simply a work of art to be treasured. There are some great effects on this album that headphones really bring out.

There are a million reviews of this album, but this one sums it up very well.

One in every 20 people under the age of 50 in the United States owns a copy of this album *Dark Side remained on Billboard's 200 album chart for an amazing 15 years straight and then for another two when it was remastered back in 1994 *It is currently the most successful album ever with upwards of 40 million copies sold world-wide

Now the question... WHY? Why should one album by a band back in 1973 have such outstanding achievments and admiration even today? Perhaps because of the time period. Look at other albums released the same year by bands like Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Rush, and the Doobie Brothers among several others. This was the year of rock perfection. Or maybe it was because of the rave for concept albums. Or the simple, yet unforgettable album cover.

More likely it was the band's chemistry and ability to make jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring, thought-provoking music. This is Pink Floyd at its collective finest, with everyone contributing. Unlike the band in 6 years, Waters did NOT do everything. Gilmoure took a huge chunk of the music-writing, laying down the chord progressions on "Breathe," "Time," and "Any Colour You Like;" the singing on the album's best songs, Water's conceeding to David's far superior voice; and pumping out what would later be hailed as some of rock's most influential lead-guitar riffs on "Money" and "Brain Damage." Wright got in on much of the writing as well with his keyboard contributions on "Breathe," the symphonic "Great Gig in the Sky," "Us and Them," and the amazing keybpard licks and effects on "Colour." Mason, who rarely contributed, put in his efforts on "Speak to Me," "Time," and the Waters-less "Colour." Anyway you put it, THIS is the true Pink Floyd; all contributing, all acknowledged.

May 7, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 127
It also has a lot of very subtle details, that you'll only catch if you're listening on good headphones. Etys really show off a lot of stuff, that I hadn't previously heard off my old system. Give it a listen.

If you have it on CD, by all means listen to that, but if your only source is
320k you'll probably still be quite happy with it.

-Jeff

May 7, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 127
I listened to some of their tracks and most people seems to be really impressed with the special effects? Things like heart beats cause by the drums of money dropping or people running around...

Is this stuff sorta like binural recordings? People likes to album for the special effects?

Honestly ( Just my opinion) I think u2 has better music cause it has better melody.....I guess people like DSOTM cause of the speical affects.....

May 7, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 127
Quote:

I listened to some of their tracks and most people seems to be really impressed with the special effects? Things like heart beats cause by the drums of money dropping or people running around...

Is this stuff sorta like binural recordings? People likes to album for the special effects?

Honestly ( Just my opinion) I think u2 has better music cause it has better melody.....I guess people like DSOTM cause of the speical affects.....

No, millions of people like DSOTM because of the music...and I think it's rather presumptuous to judge their taste when you're just listening to it for the first time. I don't think there's any accounting for musical preference, but my experience has been that patience and careful listening can reveal a lot of what's beautiful about a work. But no one would say you have to like it.

I really don't think it's possible to give an explanation that proves some music to be "better" or "worse". It all comes down to taste.

BTW, you should probably post threads like this in the Music forum.
wink.gif

May 7, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 127
hey jag, u said you have to listen to it a few times and certain things reveal to you right?

Can you give me some examples? Thanks for your help so far....Just tell me which song is the example...I got the whole Cd.....(friend lend it to me, and I plan to rip it to 320 kbs for myself.)

May 7, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 127
If you want sound effects/experiments, sink your teeth into UMMAGUMMA instead. Dark Side of the Moon is without a doubt one of the top 10 recordings/albums/concepts of all time (IMO). You don't get there because of "trippy sound effects" and you certainly don't sell more than 40 million copies.

This album through AKG K701s and on SACD (stereo. Screw surround!) will send a BONE SOBER to heaven. Why are you wasting your time posting about WHY, when you can find out for yourself right now?

[EDIT] - By the way, you must own it if you ultimately do like it - the entire album flows together, so gapless is a necessity.

May 7, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 127
Quote:

hey jag, u said you have to listen to it a few times and certain things reveal to you right?

Can you give me some examples? Thanks for your help so far....Just tell me which song is the example...I got the whole Cd.....(friend lend it to me, and I plan to rip it to 320 kbs for myself.)

There are some decent explanations of the tracks here: http://users.wpi.edu/~vamend/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back