Why do people delete their prices when gear is sold?
Apr 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 38
Ah, a classic thread revival. I always thought that price removal was a prissy attempt to frustrate free markets (i.e. with full information) in used equipment.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 38
^ Not a revival.
wink.gif
vcoheda's explanation seems very logical.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 38
could it be that audio pricing is some of the most obscene pricing for products out there?

could it be that people are NOT proud of how much this stuff has costed them?

there can't be any other reason. and yes, audio IS an embarassment, given how much the snake oil sellers charge and how gullible many of us are ;(

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People on other forums aren't like us.

Shouldn't that be 'don't' instead of 'aren't'?
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hee Hee , this topic reminds me of the Used Headphone Price guide I once tried to put together that nearly caused outrage in the community ...

See here : >>

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/use...-guide-243436/

Good Times.
beyersmile.png

Wow, seems like a good idea to me. I guess it depends on which side of the fence you're on. If you're primarily a buyer (me), you want to see this list to make sure you aren't getting ripped. If you're primarily a seller, you don't want to see this list cause it might cause you to lose an extra couple of bucks.

It seems you primarily piqued the interest of the seller group. I still think it's a fine idea, albeit lots of work would be involved.

A lot of the work would be alleviated if a script could be written to comb through the FS posts and key in on certain words and prices associated with such. That would cut down on a lot of the manual labor.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 38
I replace the price with "SOLD" so that people will stop PMing me asking if it's still available even months after the post has been edited to indicate that it's been sold.

Also, I'd just like to point out, as someone who hardly ever pays full price for anything, I'm amazed that so few people understand this:

The value of a given item is precisely the amount of money someone is willing to give you for it in the instant that the transaction takes place. Not a penny more, not a penny less. And as that moment passes, it becomes nothing but a historical reference, and a weak bargaining point.

Just because i buy something for $10 doesn't mean it's not worth $100 to someone else. And there's nothing immoral or unethical about that.

Just because you sold a headphone to someone for less than they turned around and sold it for three months later doesn't mean you or the last guy to buy it got ripped off.

We all have the right to try to get the best deal for ourselves.

As a buyer, i have every right to try to minimize my cost.

As a seller, I have every right to try and maximize my profit.

Sociologically speaking, we're all selfish maximizers. The only differences between us are whether what we're trying to maximize is tangible or not.

As a human being, I'm not actually all that greedy. I figure that i got a good deal and the people who buy things from me ought to get a good deal too - within reason.

But i don't sell much - because I'm a bit of a packrat, and because it's hard to motivate me with sums of money that are less than i make in a few hours at my day job. The odd flipside to that is that when times are lean, i still don't like to sell my stuff because i figure i'll never be able to get such a ripping great deal on it again in the future.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 38
how strange that I don't see this 'fear of revealing price' in the photo world or the video world.

only the audio world has this fear of telling what the price is you are asking or paying.

this MUST indicate that we are being gouged and that its an embarrassment to really let others know the price.

all the talk about 'its worth what its worth' is just people trying to guard the old model of sales.

its over guys! the internet rendered your sacred secret price-books PUBLIC.

you can try to hide your data but its not going to work long-term. give it up. its like the old media companies fighting online music. its a losing battle (for them).

maybe with HONEST value pricing on audio it won't be so embarrassing what you paid for that amp or dac? hmmmm??

with dacs and amps selling for thousands of dollars, YES, its a black mark on the industry. I don't see this kind of disproportionate pricing on cameras, for example. why are audio folks so gullible to extreme pricing, then?

this sure seems to strike a nerve with some folks. that's pretty telling in itself, actually.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 38
It's not that people are getting gouged, it's that there are people who are anxious to pay inflated prices for items that are not generally readily available.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

If you have a lot of patience and moxy, it's not unheardof to get a minty K1000 for less than $500 out of europe.

Someone with more money than patience may be willing to pay $1000 for it the very day you receive it.

And then some other guy with a K1000 that may not be as minty believes that he should accept nothing less than $1000.

I bought two Yamaha YH-1's for less than $25/ea shipped.

Many of them, in similar condition, have sold for $150 or more.

I think $150 is too high. Even if someone is offering me $150. But i might take it, too.

Does that make someone elses YH-1 worth $150? No. Does it make someone elses YH-1 worth only $25? No.

My YH-100 was free. A lot of them sell for more than $300. I'm not selling mine. I once charged $65 just to clean and refurbish a pair.

I'd also like to point out that the relative quality of photographic equipment is easily measurable.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 38
some people are angry because they can't do clandestine research to figure out a ballpark fair price for an item or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back