Why Do People Complain of Scratches When They Order Black iPods?
Dec 1, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 24
yep i did all that, but apparently i left a bit too much water on the adhesive side, because as the shield started drying, it trapped not airbubbles, but tiny WATER bubbles. you couldn't squeeze those out for nothing. and lifting the cover by the time the cover dried enough to see where there was too much moisture resulted in the stretching (and tearing) of the shield - god, the mess.

so yeah, air bubbles are easy to comb out. just go easier on the soapy water than I did.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 24
well when i get the shield next week, I will post how I made out. thanks for the play by play. Jahn sorry to hear that. So now what are you going to do?

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 24
I own a black 5G iPod, and it is scratched, but I'm not writing to complain about the scratches per se.

Rather, I'm writing to complain about the lack of cases for the 5G even as of today, more than a month after the 5G's release (which for many of us is related to scratching). Unlike just about everyone on here, I think the Invisible Shield, while ideal in theory, is a nightmare to apply in practice (at least if you have butterfingers and do not want any bubbles and/or excess material). Furthermore, while more and more manufacturers are releasing decent cases, they are near impossible to find in-store and difficult to find online (unless you're willing to pre-order). And while the case included with the 5G is functional, it is not exactly an elegant solution (have you heard anyone sing its praises?).

I can understand Apple's desire to shock the world with its new products. What I can't understand is its failure to timely notify aftermarket developers of new design specs.

BTW, IMHO, the scratches merely affect the aesthetics of the iPod; they do not materially affect performance.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
well when i get the shield next week, I will post how I made out. thanks for the play by play. Jahn sorry to hear that. So now what are you going to do?

Actually, the shield on the scrollwheel ended up going on perfectly, so i left it on when i sent the rest of the crumpled mess back to the company. so i am going to couple that with this aluminum case on ebay which has a hard screen protector and spaces for docking, etc and an exposed scrollwheel opening, and hope that combo will make for a good solution. i'm all about the black metal anyhow, it matches the AE-1 hehe.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Get a PSP screen protector made by Pelican, $5 each at Target or Best Buy or Fry's or some other store. Cut it to size to fit over just the screen area of the iPod. It clings to the iPod with static, so it's easy to apply, none of this soapy water and bubbles BS. It's washable and re-usable too. You can use a drop of water when applying to make things a bit easier.

Actually, Power Supply makes a total Cover for the iPod made with the same material. It is statically attached to the iPod. Plus $12 for a double set is really nice. Unfroutnately they aren't avaible just yet, it should be any day now though. Heres a link for anyone who wants to look into it. I think its a much better choice since installation is ten times easier. Power Supply's 5G Clear Film

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 24
I can't imagine a material that could be used in such a small product that could'nt be scratched or marred in some manner, so it is just a question of eventuality, eh? I gave up the ghost on my 3g long ago, and now it has a nice texture to the finish.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 24
Jahn, how's the visibility with that Agent18 case?

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 24
I have a Agent 18 case on my black 30g 5g and its ok, needs to be cleaned out every so often as alot of crud get under the case, but it does get thrown in the bottom of my bag alot.

The case it great and when i dropped it (oh bugger I thought) last week onto concrete it popped off but the iPod was ok.

i use a case so it retains enough value for me to upgrade, i lost around £20 on my mini over 9 months. the scratches dont bother me but when I come to sell this thing it loses value quick.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back