why do people buy swiss francs?
Jan 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
Im steadily getting out of $USD and trying to fill my portfolio with more credible currencies and most people suggest the Japanese Yen and Swiss francs.

However, I found theres a common misconception that the Japanese Yen and Swiss francs are backed by gold. A quick check on wikipedia informed me that both countries have long abolished their gold standard so I was wondering if their appreciation is sorely caused by the unwinding of carry trade or do the japanese and swiss really have some magical formula to ensure low inflation without hurting their exports?

I hope someone who studies this can give me a brief insight.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 14
It's just as a method of diversification (not a bad idea to diversify from the US dollar these days, either). There's no magic to Swiss inflation... in fact their rate of inflation as measured against oil and gold is closer to the US dollar than most other major currencies:
CurrenciesVsBrent_July.png

http://picodopetroleo.net/temp/Curre...Brent_July.png

I'm about as far from a gold bug as they come, but if you believe inflation is on the horizon or oil prices will continue to stay high, gold makes a lot of sense (despite the major run-up in the last couple of years).

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 14
[size=small]The mention of "gold bug" reminds me that I have been watching precious metals prices for the past few months, and there have been some surprises. Gold has gone from about $750 to now pushing $900, silver $13 - $16+, platinum, which once was just a click above gold, is now about $1600/oz, but rhodium has gone from $6000/oz to $7000/oz. Impressive.

Speed the fez.

Laz
[/size]

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 14
I like Gooooooooooooooooold.
_1537741_gold300.jpg

But seriously, I only have enough bullion to bludgeon a mouse right now. I really should get more.

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 14
[size=small]The Incas had so much gold, they made gutters and downspouts out of it. The Spanish only got a fraction of it. The rest is squirreled away in South America. An Indy Jones film could be made on the subject.

Speed the fez.

Laz
[/size]

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]The Incas had so much gold, they made gutters and downspouts out of it. The Spanish only got a fraction of it. The rest is squirreled away in South America. An Indy Jones film could be made on the subject.

Speed the fez.

Laz
[/size]

Is there any way you could increase the text size in your own browser instead of [size=medium]calling unnecessary attention to yourself[/size]?
tongue.gif

Also... Could you please put your signature in the signature area?

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way you could increase the text size in your own browser instead of [size=medium]calling unnecessary attention to yourself[/size]?
tongue.gif

Also... Could you please put your signature in the signature area?

Well, it looks like the new font/size/color which I found so pleasing, is just irritating to some of you. Help me out here - I have no idea how to adjust text size in my browser. Also, what should I put in the signature area: Speed the fex." "Laz" or both?

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Well, it looks like the new font/size/color which I found so pleasing, is just irritating to some of you. Help me out here - I have no idea how to adjust text size in my browser. Also, what should I put in the signature area: Speed the fex." "Laz" or both?

It's under View --> Text Size.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess it's okay to sign your messages, but "Speed the fex" is more like a "signature" motto or phrase, so it probably fits best in the signature.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

It's under View --> Text Size.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess it's okay to sign your messages, but "Speed the fex" is more like a "signature" motto or phrase, so it probably fits best in the signature.
wink.gif

I'll try that, thanks. "fex"?

It works - yes - very nice! My eyes thank you!!

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Err, fez... But that's what you wrote in post #9.
biggrin.gif

@Konig, Sorry about the minor thread diversion. How does one invest in currency?

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

It works - yes - very nice! My eyes thank you!!

this place gets weirder by the minute; when did headfi lose all sanity? it's all over now, baby blue

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Sorry about the minor thread diversion. How does one invest in currency?

You invest as you normally would, just choosing investments denominated in the foreign currency, or investments which stand to gain from foreign currency appreciation. Only short-term currency traders buy actual currency; most people would buy money-market instruments denominated in the desired currency (that gets you interest for the time you're holding the currency). Other than that, follow your normal investment mix... whatever you find appropriate (bonds, stocks, mutual funds, etc.). With gold, a lot of people buy and hang on to bullion, but it's up to you. There are plenty of ways to invest in commodities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back