Why do my interconnects and powercord look nervous?
Oct 13, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #46 of 60
Now that's a good idea, Moo. What do you think, jude, maybe another possibility in terms of sponsor ideas?

Oct 13, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

I think it would be awesome if we could have a number of headfizers audition the same cords at the same time, so we would have several different views to compare/contrast with one another. Don't know how hard it would be to coordinate this, but maybe some of the manufacturers would be interested in something like this and loan us sample cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Arrangements with dealers/manufacturers vary, but what you're proposing is tough, because somewhere along the line someone would have to be liable for all that expensive stuff that would be sent around. As attractive as a sort of manufacturer-supported lending library sounds in concept, it's a tough wish to fulfill in reality, largely because of the liability issues.

My best suggestion for anyone seriously shopping new cables -- and who wants to audition several different kinds at once in the process -- is to contact a dealer (like The Cable Company or a local dealer) and discuss how this could best be done.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:31 AM Post #48 of 60
Jude,

I will be interested in your comments on the Cardas Neutral Reference. I had a couple of pairs a while ago, and found them not to my taste - slightly thin sounding, a slight loss of deep bass and a "white" colouration to the sound. However, it took a few months for these characteristics to emerge and be identified (as it often does for cables).

Ross

Oct 13, 2001 at 9:34 AM Post #49 of 60
Moo hit on the cables I've been personally eyeing, those Mapleshade Clearview Double Helixes. Other than that, I'd really love to get a pair of Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Silver interconns, but it seems those are discontinued now.
frown.gif

Can anybody give me a suggestion for a transparent cable? You know something isn't right when a megabuck CDP sounds almost exactly the same as a low budget CDP.
confused.gif
Those Air1s look intriguing, but I'm a little hesitant about hitting that pricetag for my first (serious) interconnect buy. But at the same time, I think my CDP warrants cables up there now, so maybe I have no choice.
eek.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Well, I hope that Jude does get around to trying the MITs 330-Shotguns at one point. I would like to see how they compare to those other cables.

KR,

I don't think those are widely available anymore, are they? That'd make it a bit difficult. Is there an equivalent model still being sold? If so, I could probably get my hands around some.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

I don't think those are widely available anymore, are they? That'd make it a bit difficult. Is there an equivalent model still being sold? If so, I could probably get my hands around some.

The ones that I have are the MIT MI-330 CVTerminator Series Two , which MIT does not make anymore. They have been replace by the MIT MI-330 Shotgun. These are the same as my cables, expect they have a different color scheme and you can now choose 3 different impedance depending on what kind of amp you want to use with them.

These are the top of the line of the MIT High-End Series Interfaces.

http://www.mitcables.com/pages/produ...e_SHOTGUN.html

There is a MIT Reference Series Interfaces after that, but those cost many times more than the cables you are looking at now, while the MIT MI-330 Shotgun retails for about $699.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

The ones that I have are the MIT MI-330 CVTerminator Series Two , which MIT does not make anymore. They have been replace by the MIT MI-330 Shotgun. These are the same as my cables, expect they have a different color scheme and you can now choose 3 different impedance depending on what kind of amp you want to use with them.

These are the top of the line of the MIT High-End Series Interfaces.

http://www.mitcables.com/pages/produ...e_SHOTGUN.html

There is a MIT Reference Series Interfaces after that, but those cost many times more than the cables you are looking at now, while the MIT MI-330 Shotgun retails for about $699.

Some searching around about these was very interesting, KR. The opinions on these cables are very mixed -- far more mixed than any of the cables I'm currently looking at. There seems to be a clear love-hate relationship with these MIT cables, with little in between (at least based on my first searches). I'll have to do more digging -- could be interesting to give these a run at some point.

One viewpoint I've seen repeated is that MIT cables were maybe at one time much more competitive in the cable market, but may have a hard time keeping up with some of the latest offerings. There is certainly a very mixed bunch of opinions on the network boxes.

Very interesting.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Here are some reviews :

This one review, the person doing the review compared the same cables that I have with the newer ones which Stereophile gave such high praise to, as well as speaker cables :

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/mit_cables.htm

Yeah, I saw that one. It's from two years ago. I'm going to try to find some newer consumer/professional opinions on those cables.

I'm certainly interested given the widely varying opinions I'm seeing so far.

Oct 13, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #58 of 60
man bootman, those are da ones.
biggrin.gif
Except I think that's a wee bit too long for a headphone system.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 8:30 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

man bootman, those are da ones. Except I think that's a wee bit too long for a headphone system.

lol

Yeah, 10 meters is a tad long
eek.gif
but with some quality RCA connectors you could make smaller ones and sell them for a profit!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back