Why do my headphones sound different
May 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LastDayz

New Head-Fier
I remember my headphones having more bass and it really stood out...now it just blends in with the other sounds.

These are the headphones I use... ihome ib40

May 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Your ears just adapted to their sound. You can always EQ down other frequencies or just stop listening them for some time. Also it's possible that if a pleather from your earpads is gone off, that their sound signature has changed. It happened to me with Sennheiser HD218, after few years of usage there was no skin on pads and they were bass light and more airy sounding (and they leaked like semi-open headphones).

May 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Your ears just adapted to their sound. You can always EQ down other frequencies or just stop listening them for some time. Also it's possible that if a pleather from your earpads is gone off, that their sound signature has changed. It happened to me with Sennheiser HD218, after few years of usage there was no skin on pads and they were bass light and more airy sounding (and they leaked like semi-open headphones).

I never thought about pad wear and tear affecting sound but you're right!

May 19, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 5
  The sound changes overtime when the drivers loosen up, Its normal.

That's highly debatable. So far there is no proof that this ever happens. Tyll from InnerFidelity measured driver changes from long burn-in in headphones, and there were only very minor changes in the FR, probably inaudible. From my experience, after I listen to bassy music for some time I perceive my headphones to have much less bass, until I give myself some break and then it gets back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back