Why do my headphones have such short lifespans?
Oct 1, 2007 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bunninator

Head-Fier
I own a pair of Shure E3gs. I used to own normal gray E3s but I asked when sending the broken pair in if they could replace with the G series which I prefer because they're lighter and the little barb on the nozzle.

So this is a problem I've had with both versions of the E3s.

The audio starts to cut out in the right channel. I've owned 4 or 5 brand new pairs. No ****. I send in for RMA and they ship me a new pair and every time except for once this was the problem after a few months of use. I'm really not very rough on them. Sometimes however I wear them while laying down with my head against the pillow. Still... it would be about 50/50 and the left side should have problems too but it doesn't.

The upside is I've only ever paid for one pair and the rest are the result of warrenty. The downside is I have to send in the only headphones I find acceptable and be without decent headphones for several weeks. I do feel bad sending them in time and time again. If I could figure out a way to prolong the life of these headphones I'd gladly try that rather than sending them in constantly.

Am I really being too rough with my headphones or have other people experienced this problem also? Does the series that replaced the E series fix this if it isn't just me with the problem?

Kudos to Shure customer service. They're the absolute best to deal with. A close second behind Etymotic.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Do you usually wrap your headphones around your mp3 player?

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 9
Never.

Occationally when I'm at work after school I will only insert the left earphone (and listen to Howard Stern MP3s :3) and tuck the cord and the right driver down my shirt so I can still hear through my right ear. This has been a problem even before I've started that practice. The point of breakage seems to be RIGHT where the wire meets the earphone. I always tend to wrap them around my ears which was my impression of how they're supposed to be worn via looking at the instructions etc. etc.

I never use the clamshell case. I'll try to gently coil them up and place them in my pocket on occation but if that were the problem I wouldn't think it would only affect the right channel. :/

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 9
once or twice, I would say that a faulty product is a possibility. 4 or 5 times on the other hand...

Either this problem is common to all e3's or it has something to do with the way you use them.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 9
if its any consolation, my ec3's kept breaking when i had them. actually, the only headphones that haven't broken in one way or form are my dt770, but they get the least use (ok maybe not ALL my past headphones, just one or 2). this is annoying because i do baby my headphones (maybe too much eh!)

my advice, learn to diy, so that when the warranty eventually goes kaput, you can fix them yourself.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 9
several times... I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that its user-induced.

Try the clam-shell case, I used it 100% of the time with my e2c, and it helped. My e2c died after ~18 months of near-daily use.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 9
I still have no problem with my E3C. Just once I had a problem but it was my own fault. I cutted the right cable with a scissor
eek.gif

Fortunately Sure Japan gave me a brand new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back